What is the nature of the gravitational field and its relationship to matter?

In summary: It has no existence outside of the things it affects. :confused:The fabric of space-time is considered to be physically real and is the cause of the space-time metric, determining how mass moves and behaves, as well as how fields interact.
grav-universe
In GR, there is said to exist a fabric of space-time, and gravity is the warping of the fabric of space-time. Since GR is simply an extension of SR, the fabric of space-time should exist for both, then, both relating to the same universe and all, right? So could the fabric of space-time be considered the mechanism that physically produces length contraction and time dilation in SR? Why or why not?

If not, why do length contraction and time dilation occur, and why isn't the universe Galilean? Also, what is the fabric of space-time? :smile:

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes, that is that "standard" view of SR which you don't prefer.

I will interpret "fabric of spacetime" = spacetime metric.

In GR, the spacetime metric is the gravitational field.

In standard SR, distance and time are defined by the Minkowski metric.

atyy said:
Yes, that is that "standard" view of SR which you don't prefer.
:smile: If the fabric of space-time is said to physically produce length contraction and time dilation, then I prefer it, as it makes conceptual sense to me by introducing a mechanism rather than just unexplained distortions of perceived reality according to each particular frame, but I was incorrectly referring to it by a different name in that case.

Last edited:
Oh you LET traitor!

Actually, in GR matter and spacetime codetermine each other - spacetime is a sort of matter since it is the gravitational field, which is just another field like the electromagnetic field or the electron field. The main difference between the gravitational field and all other fields is that the gravitational field does not have localized energy. A second important property of the gravitational field is that it interacts with all other forms of matter, and so all forms of matter interact with each other via the gravitational field.

Last edited:
atyy said:
I will interpret "fabric of spacetime" = spacetime metric.

In GR, the spacetime metric is the gravitational field.

In standard SR, distance and time are defined by the Minkowski metric.
Right, okay, that would be the mathematics involved which describes the observations involved, but is the fabric of space-time considered to be physically real which acts as the true mechanism of space-time or is it only conceptual?

grav-universe said:
Right, okay, that would be the mathematics involved which describes the observations involved, but is the fabric of space-time considered to be physically real which acts as the true mechanism of space-time or is it only conceptual?

Spacetime=gravitational field

The gravitational field is "real", if you consider the electromagnetic field "real".

The gravitational field and matter (including your measuring rod and clock) codetermine each other.

Most often, you will see approximations in which your measuring rod and clock don't contribute to the curvature of spacetime, since their mass is small compared to the stars and planets. But in principle, according to GR, they do.

atyy said:
Oh you LET traitor!
:redface:

Actually, in GR matter and spacetime codetermine each other - spacetime is a sort of matter since it is the gravitational field, which is just another field like the electromagnetic field or the electron field. The main difference between the gravitational field and all other fields is that the gravitational field does not have localized energy. A second important property of the gravitational field is that it interacts with all other forms of matter, and so all forms of matter interact with each other via the gravitational field.
So it appears that you are saying that the fabric of space-time is physically real and is the cause of the space-time metric, determining how mass moves and behaves, as well as how fields interact. Okay, very cool, thanks. :smile:

atyy said:
Oh you LET traitor!

Actually, in GR matter and spacetime codetermine each other - spacetime is a sort of matter since it is the gravitational field, which is just another field like the electromagnetic field or the electron field. The main difference between the gravitational field and all other fields is that the gravitational field does not have localized energy.
Why?
The EM field has localized energy because it's associated with an object, right? If an object = matter and matter = energy, then why isn't gravity localized? Or is this what the LIGO and VIRGO are looking for?

And what do you mean by "spacetime is a sort of matter"?

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm not a trained physicist. :smile: Thanks

atyy said:
Spacetime=gravitational field

The gravitational field is "real", if you consider the electromagnetic field "real".

The gravitational field and matter (including your measuring rod and clock) codetermine each other.

Most often, you will see approximations in which your measuring rod and clock don't contribute to the curvature of spacetime, since their mass is small compared to the stars and planets. But in principle, according to GR, they do.
I don't consider the EM field to be real. A field is a concept.

grav-universe said:
So it appears that you are saying that the fabric of space-time is physically real and is the cause of the space-time metric, determining how mass moves and behaves, as well as how fields interact. Okay, very cool, thanks. :smile:

That's fine, but I actually think of it a bit differently - since matter determines the gravitational field, it can be said that matter determines metric relations via the gravitational field.

TheAlkemist said:
Why?
The EM field has localized energy because it's associated with an object, right? If an object = matter and matter = energy, then why isn't gravity localized? Or is this what the LIGO and VIRGO are looking for?

And what do you mean by "spacetime is a sort of matter"?

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm not a trained physicist. :smile: Thanks

If you define matter as that which has localized energy, then the gravitational field is not matter.

On the other hand, the gravitational field obeys differential equations just like the electromagnetic field, so it is just a field and is matter in that sense.

1. What is the fabric of space-time?

The fabric of space-time is a concept in physics that describes the fundamental structure of the universe. It is a four-dimensional continuum that combines the concepts of space and time into a single entity.

2. How is the fabric of space-time formed?

The fabric of space-time is formed by the curvature of space caused by the presence of mass or energy. This curvature is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

3. Does the fabric of space-time have physical properties?

Yes, the fabric of space-time has physical properties such as curvature, density, and tension. These properties determine the behavior of objects in the universe and are affected by the presence of mass and energy.

4. Can the fabric of space-time be manipulated?

According to current scientific understanding, the fabric of space-time cannot be manipulated as it is a fundamental property of the universe. However, some theories suggest that advanced civilizations might be able to manipulate the fabric of space-time through technologies we have not yet discovered.

5. How does the fabric of space-time affect gravity?

The fabric of space-time is responsible for the phenomenon of gravity. The presence of mass or energy causes a curvature in the fabric of space-time, and objects with mass are pulled towards this curvature, creating the force of gravity.