What is the phase difference for waves with a 25% increase in amplitude?

In summary, two identical waves with a phase difference will form a resultant wave with amplitude increased by 25%. This can be represented by adding the two wave vectors head-to-tail. The phase difference can be determined using the cosine rule.
RyRy19
Two waves are identical apart from a phase difference, they create a resultant wave of 25% increase of the original amplitude, what is the phase difference.
sin(alpha)+sin(beta)=2sin(1/2)(alpha+beta)cos(1/2)(alpha-beta)
Asin(kx+wt)=2sin(1/2)(alpha+beta)cos(1/2)alpha-beta)
Asin(kx+wt)=2sin(1/2)(alpha+beta)cos(1/2)alpha-beta)
=1.2Asin(kx+wt)

I assume that's right then you rearrange but I'm highly doubting myself

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a LOT easier if you use the phasor representation of the waves.
Then you just add the phasor arrows head-to-tail like vectors.

Simon Bridge said:
It is a LOT easier if you use the phasor representation of the waves.
Then you just add the phasor arrows head-to-tail like vectors.

So like.. e^i(wt-kx) ? I never really understood this method so I should probably look it up, how would you apply that to this question? If I may ask

Thanks for the help!

The two waves vary at the same rate - so they will always maintain the same phase difference between them.

Executive summary:

Waves can be represented by vectors that rotate. The length of the vector is the amplitude of the wave.

Two waves that are identical but for a phase difference are two vectors with an constant angle between them.

The result of the two waves combining is the same as adding the two vectors.

So two waves with a phase difference of ##\phi## but identical otherwise, will form a iscoseles triangle where the external angle at the apex is the phase difference. Thus the internal angle is ##\theta=\pi-\phi##

The resultant is the third side - use the cosine rule.
Sketch it and you'll see.

i.e. if the phase difference is ##\pi/2##, and the amplitudes are A, then the resultant wave will have amplitude ##\sqrt{2}A## (pythagoras).

What you are trying to do is:
##\sin(\omega t-kx)+\sin(\omega t-kx+\phi) = A\sin(\omega t-kx+\delta)##
... you are given ##A## and you need to find ##\phi##

Likes 1 person
So to ask simply, apologies if I'm wrong. As we know that both waves have the same amplitude and their resultant is 25% greater, could I draw a line joined to another line which as at an angle. Label the angle outside of the two lines (apex) as theta. After this I could use Pythagoras to determine the inside angles and then knowing the angle is 180 determine the unknown angle which is he phase difference?

I could label lines with length 4, 4 and 5
So sorry for the lateness!

I'd draw arrows, not lines. In this case they are the same length.
As vectors: ##\vec r = (r,\theta)## ... i.e. a length and an angle measured anticlockwise from some reference direction (i.e. the x axis).

If the first wave is ##\vec r_1 = (1,0)##
Then the second wave is ##\vec r_2 = (1,\theta)##
Sketch these head-to-tail - careful: ##\theta\neq\pi/2## so don't draw a right-angle.

Since there is no right angle, you cannot use pythagoras directly.
I'd use the cosine rule instead.

I'd draw arrows, not lines. In this case they are the same length.
As vectors: ##\vec r = (r,\theta)## ... i.e. a length and an angle measured anticlockwise from some reference direction (i.e. the x axis).

If the first wave is ##\vec r_1 = (1,0)##
Then the second wave is ##\vec r_2 = (1,\theta)##
Sketch these head-to-tail - careful: ##\theta\neq\pi/2## so don't draw a right-angle.

Since there is no right angle, you cannot use pythagoras directly.
I'd use the cosine rule instead.

1. What are the properties of waves?

Waves have several key properties, including amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and speed. Amplitude refers to the maximum height or displacement of the wave, while wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs. Frequency is the number of waves passing through a certain point in a given amount of time, and speed is the rate at which the wave travels through a medium.

2. How do waves transfer energy?

Waves transfer energy through a medium by causing particles in the medium to vibrate. As the wave travels, it creates a disturbance in the medium, causing the particles to move in a back-and-forth motion. This transfer of energy allows the wave to travel through the medium without actually moving the particles along with it.

3. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves are characterized by particles moving perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. Examples of transverse waves include light waves and water waves. On the other hand, longitudinal waves are characterized by particles moving parallel to the direction of the wave's propagation. Sound waves are an example of longitudinal waves.

4. How do waves behave when they encounter a boundary between two mediums?

When a wave encounters a boundary between two mediums, it can either be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed. The behavior of the wave depends on the properties of both mediums, such as density and elasticity. For example, when a light wave travels from air to water, it is partially reflected and partially transmitted, resulting in a change in direction and speed.

5. How are sound waves and electromagnetic waves different?

Sound waves are mechanical waves that require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves do not require a medium and can travel through a vacuum. Sound waves also have a much lower speed compared to electromagnetic waves. Additionally, sound waves are longitudinal while electromagnetic waves are transverse.