What Is the Position Operator x When Momentum p Is Defined as (h/2m)½(A+B)?

In summary, the conversation is about a question asking to find the operator for position x given the operator for momentum p and the commutation relation between them. The questioner is confused and seeks help in understanding the problem. The helper suggests considering how the commutation relations work as a hint for solving the problem.
qmpuzzler

Homework Statement

I'm so confused about the question below,actually i cannot understand the problem at all.Could anybody help me out?Thank you

Homework Equations

Find the operator for position x if the operator for momentum p is taken to be (h/2m)½(A+B),with[A,B]=1,and all other commutators zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

i just cannot figure it out how can the position,which is a opeartor itself,can have a operator for.

Physics news on Phys.org
qmpuzzler said:

Homework Statement

I'm so confused about the question below,actually i cannot understand the problem at all.Could anybody help me out?Thank you

Homework Equations

Find the operator for position x if the operator for momentum p is taken to be (h/2m)½(A+B),with[A,B]=1,and all other commutators zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

i just cannot figure it out how can the position,which is a opeartor itself,can have a operator for.

What is the commutation relation between x and p? How can you construct x to satisfy that commutation relation?

Here is the question:

Honestly,i have no idea what is the meaning of the question.

mathfeel said:
What is the commutation relation between x and p? How can you construct x to satisfy that commutation relation?

QMPuzzler, just as a hint to what you were asked by the original helper, I think you might want to consider how the commutation relations work, for example: [x,p] = xp-px.

Diomarte said:
QMPuzzler, just as a hint to what you were asked by the original helper, I think you might want to consider how the commutation relations work, for example: [x,p] = xp-px.

Thanks,but still have no clue in solving.can you explain how to work it out?

Related to What Is the Position Operator x When Momentum p Is Defined as (h/2m)½(A+B)?

1. What is the operator for position x and how do I find it?

The operator for position x is the symbol or mathematical function that represents a change in position. To find it, you can refer to a physics or mathematics textbook, or use online resources to search for the specific operator you need.

2. Why is it important to know the operator for position x?

Knowing the operator for position x is important because it allows you to accurately describe the change in position of an object or particle. It also helps in solving equations and predicting future positions.

3. How do I use the operator for position x in an equation?

The operator for position x is typically used in equations involving displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It is usually represented by the symbol "x" and is placed before the variable it is affecting. For example, the equation for velocity, v = x/t, uses the operator for position x.

4. Are there different operators for different types of position?

Yes, there are different operators for different types of position, such as linear position, angular position, and polar position. Each type of position has its own specific operator or function that is used in equations to represent changes in that type of position.

5. How can I determine the operator for position x in a given situation?

The best way to determine the operator for position x in a given situation is to first identify the type of position you are dealing with (linear, angular, polar, etc.). Then, refer to a physics or mathematics resource to find the specific operator or function that represents changes in that type of position.