What is the Probability of Gender Combinations in a Family with Four Children?

In summary, the probability for a boy to be born is 51.3%, while the probability for a girl to be born is 48.7%. These probabilities are independent of the sex of any children previously born to a family. For a couple with four children, the probability that all four children are girls is 5.62%. The probability that three children are boys and one child is a girl is 25%, taking into account the order in which the children can be born.
NoPhysicsGenius

Homework Statement

The probability for a boy to be born is 51.3%.
The probability for a girl to be born is 48.7%.
The probabilities are independent of the sex of any children previously born to a family.
A couple has four children.
(a) What is the probability that all four children are girls?
(b) What is the probability that 3 children are boys and 1 child is a girl?

Homework Equations

The product rule for probability (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I am thinking that if it were equally likely that a boy or a girl was to be born, then the probability that all four children being girls would be 1/16 = 0.0625 = 6.25%.

However, with the probability of a single girl being born being 48.7%, I am wondering if I could use the product rule to say that the probability that all four children are girls is: 48.7% x 48.7% x 48.7% x 48.7% = 0.0562 = 5.62%. Is this correct?

(b) I am thinking that if it were equally likely that a boy or a girl was to be born, then the probability that all three children being boys and 1 child being a girl would be 4/16 = 1/4 = 0.25 = 25%.

However, with the probability of a single girl being born being 48.7%, I haven't the slightest clue how to proceed with this problem ... Could someone please grant me some assistance?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would do that same thing for the first part but for the 2nd problem I think it would be
P(BBBG)=51.3%x51.3%x51.3%x48.7% x 4!/3!

Note: multiply by 4!/3! because of the order in which the children can be born in

Thanks! I think that does it.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood or chance that a certain event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. What is an "Intro to Probability Problem"?

An "Intro to Probability Problem" is a type of math problem that involves determining the probability of a certain event occurring, based on given information and assumptions. These problems are commonly used to introduce students to the concept of probability and its applications.

3. How do you calculate probability?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability. Other methods of calculating probability include the relative frequency and subjective approaches.

4. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is the probability of an event occurring based on mathematical calculations and assumptions. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is based on actual data collected through experiments or observations. While theoretical probability is based on theoretical concepts, experimental probability is based on real-world evidence.

5. What are some real-world applications of probability?

Probability has a wide range of applications in various fields, including finance, insurance, weather forecasting, epidemiology, and more. It is used to analyze and predict outcomes, make informed decisions, and assess risk. Some common examples of real-world applications of probability include predicting stock market trends, determining insurance premiums, and estimating the chances of a disease outbreak.