What is the Proof for Newton's Law of Cooling Formula Using Quadratic Equation?

In summary, the heat pump is able to maintain the building at a temperature by consuming a constant amount of power and losing heat according to Newton's law of cooling.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
A building is maintained at temperature
TH with a reversible heat pump operating between the building and a
colder environment at temperature TC < TH. The heat pump consumes electrical
power at a constant rate W . The building also loses heat according to
Newton’s law of cooling, that is, at a rate (TH – TC) where is constant.
Show that the building temperature is maintained at temperature
Relevant Equations
dQrev/T = 0
I have went about this problem many different ways but cannot seem to come up with the answer. I am essentially trying to prove the formula provided in the ss of the problem.Could someone help me and tell me if I am approaching this wrong?

IMG_8415.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 2.25.23 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
Homework Statement:: A building is maintained at temperature
TH with a reversible heat pump operating between the building and a
colder environment at temperature TC < TH. The heat pump consumes electrical
power at a constant rate W . The building also loses heat according to
Newton’s law of cooling, that is, at a rate (TH – TC) where is constant.
Show that the building temperature is maintained at temperature
Relevant Equations:: dQrev/T = 0

I have went about this problem many different ways but cannot seem to come up with the answer. I am essentially trying to prove the formula provided in the ss of the problem.Could someone help me and tell me if I am approaching this wrong?

View attachment 297169
View attachment 297168
I haven't gone through your entire approach (my eyes aren't what they used to be). But since the heatpump is reversible, we can assume it operates as an ideal Carnot engine. It has the efficiency:

[tex] \eta = \frac{\dot{W}}{\dot{Q_H}} = 1 - \frac{T_C}{T_H}[/tex]

Now, what's [itex] \dot{Q_H} [/itex]? It's the rate at which heat leaves the hot-sink, right? The rate that heat leaves the building. You have another formula for that rate.

I would start there. (Hint: There's some signifiant algebra involved, and if you find yourself with a quadratic, you might be on the right track.)

Likes guyvsdcsniper and Steve4Physics
quittingthecult said:

View attachment 297169
View attachment 297168
Not my area but, since no one has replied yet, maybe this will help. I think a different approach is required,

Do you know how to express the coefficient of performance (heating) of the heat pump in terms of ##T_C## and ##T_H##?

If not, take a look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_performance

Energy is being supplied to the building at a rate of ##\dot W .COP_{heating}##.

Since this will equal the rate of heat loss, ##α(T_H-T_C)##, you can write an equation which should give a quadratic equation in ##T_H## that you can solve.

But the algebra looks like it will be a bit messy!

EDIT. Aha! @collinsmark beat me to it!

Likes guyvsdcsniper and collinsmark
Steve4Physics said:
Not my area but, since no one has replied yet, maybe this will help. I think a different approach is required,

Do you know how to express the coefficient of performance (heating) of the heat pump in terms of ##T_C## and ##T_H##?

If not, take a look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_performance

Energy is being supplied to the building at a rate of ##\dot W .COP_{heating}##.

Since this will equal the rate of heat loss, ##α(T_H-T_C)##, you can write an equation which should give a quadratic equation in ##T_H## that you can solve.

But the algebra looks like it will be a bit messy!

EDIT. Aha! @collinsmark beat me to it!
I just checked my book and it does mention COP but it only mentions the COP of a refrigerator. Thank you for the wiki page. I will try it using this new approach.

collinsmark said:
I haven't gone through your entire approach (my eyes aren't what they used to be). But since the heatpump is reversible, we can assume it operates as an ideal Carnot engine. It has the efficiency:

[tex] \eta = \frac{\dot{W}}{\dot{Q_H}} = 1 - \frac{T_C}{T_H}[/tex]

Now, what's [itex] \dot{Q_H} [/itex]? It's the rate at which heat leaves the hot-sink, right? The rate that heat leaves the building. You have another formula for that rate.

I would start there. (Hint: There's some signifiant algebra involved, and if you find yourself with a quadratic, you might be on the right track.)
Hey, so I got close to the solution of this problem but kept coming up short. I ended up referring to a solution someone else posted but am I bit lost on the algebra.

I am a bit lost on the jump to forming a quadratic equation. How is it that Th2 turns into Th.

PHYS1.jpeg
PHYS 2.jpeg

quittingthecult said:
Hey, so I got close to the solution of this problem but kept coming up short. I ended up referring to a solution someone else posted but am I bit lost on the algebra.

I am a bit lost on the jump to forming a quadratic equation. How is it that Th2 turns into Th.

View attachment 297339View attachment 297340
If you are OK up to:
##T_H^2 - T_H(2 T_C + \frac {\dot W}{\alpha}) + T_C^2 = 0##
then compare this to the standard quadratic equation
##ax^2+ bx+c=0##.

Instead of ##x## we are using ##T_H##.
The constants are:
##a = 1##
##b = -(2T_C + \frac {\dot W}{\alpha})## and
##c = T_C^2##

To get the value of ##x## (i.e. ##T_H##) we use ##x = \frac{ -b± \sqrt {b^2 – 4ac)}} {2a}##.

Likes collinsmark
Steve4Physics said:
If you are OK up to:
##T_H^2 - T_H(2 T_C + \frac {\dot W}{\alpha}) + T_C^2 = 0##
then compare this to the standard quadratic equation
##ax^2+ bx+c=0##.

Instead of ##x## we are using ##T_H##.
The constants are:
##a = 1##
##b = -(2T_C + \frac {\dot W}{\alpha})## and
##c = T_C^2##

To get the value of ##x## (i.e. ##T_H##) we use ##x = \frac{ -b± \sqrt {b^2 – 4ac)}} {2a}##.
That makes so much sense. Thank you so much

Likes Steve4Physics and collinsmark

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which an object cools down or loses heat when it is in contact with a cooler medium, such as air or water.

2. What is the proof for Newton's Law of Cooling?

The proof for Newton's Law of Cooling involves using calculus to solve the differential equation that describes the cooling process. This results in the equation T(t) = Ts + (T0 - Ts)e-kt, where T(t) is the temperature at time t, Ts is the surrounding temperature, T0 is the initial temperature of the object, and k is a constant related to the cooling rate.

3. How is Newton's Law of Cooling applied in real life?

Newton's Law of Cooling is used in many practical applications, such as predicting the cooling rate of food or beverages, designing cooling systems for electronic devices, and determining the time of death in forensic investigations.

4. What are the assumptions made in Newton's Law of Cooling?

There are three main assumptions in Newton's Law of Cooling: 1) the temperature difference between the object and the surrounding medium is small, 2) the object is in a well-insulated environment, and 3) the cooling rate is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and the surrounding medium.

5. Is Newton's Law of Cooling applicable to all objects?

No, Newton's Law of Cooling is only applicable to objects that can be approximated as a point mass with a uniform temperature. Objects with complex shapes or varying temperatures may require more advanced equations to describe their cooling process.