What is the recommended wrench clearance according to TEMA Table D5?

• Thread starter minoroctave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wrench
In summary, the conversation is about obtaining recommended wrench and nut clearances from TEMA Table D5. The person is confused about the quantity to use from the table and is directed to the "Machinery Handbook" for general reference on wrench clearances. The handbook is considered a basic reference requirement for Mechanical Engineers in the US.
minoroctave
I am trying to obtain minimum recommended wrench and nut clearances from TEMA Table D5, but I don't really know what quantity from this table I should be using.

Attachments

• tema1.png
    tema1.png
    45 KB · Views: 2,309
Engineering news on Phys.org
That table is directed more at minimum dimensions for bolts spacing designs with a standard box end wrench rather than for wrench clearance determination. A good general reference for wrench clearances for all styles of standard wrenches is the "Machinery Handbook" published by the Industrial Press, if you can locate one. This book is a basic reference requirement in the US for any Mechanical Engineer.

Likes minoroctave
JBA said:
That table is directed more at minimum dimensions for bolts spacing designs with a standard box end wrench rather than for wrench clearance determination. A good general reference for wrench clearances for all styles of standard wrenches is the "Machinery Handbook" published by the Industrial Press, if you can locate one. This book is a basic reference requirement in the US for any Mechanical Engineer.

thanks, I found the handbook. I just want to make sure if C is the wrench clearance.

Attachments

• handbook.png
    handbook.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 3,747

What is wrench and nut clearance?

Wrench and nut clearance refers to the amount of space between a wrench and a nut when they are being used together.

Why is wrench and nut clearance important?

Wrench and nut clearance is important because it ensures that the wrench fits properly on the nut, allowing for efficient and safe use. It also helps prevent damage to both the wrench and the nut.

How is wrench and nut clearance measured?

Wrench and nut clearance is typically measured in inches or millimeters, and it is the distance between two parallel lines drawn on the opposite sides of the nut and wrench.

What factors can affect wrench and nut clearance?

The size and shape of the wrench and nut, as well as the manufacturing tolerances and wear and tear on the tools, can all affect the wrench and nut clearance. Additionally, temperature and humidity can also cause slight changes in the dimensions of the tools, affecting the clearance.

How can I ensure proper wrench and nut clearance?

To ensure proper wrench and nut clearance, it is important to use the correct size wrench for the nut and to regularly inspect and maintain your tools. You can also refer to the manufacturer's specifications for the recommended clearance for a specific nut and wrench combination.