What is the relationship between force, acceleration, and mass in a lift?

In summary, the question involves finding the mass of a body that is hanging from a spring-balance in a lift. The balance reads 70N when the lift has an upward acceleration of 4.0ms^-2. After multiple attempts, the correct method is to divide the weight of 70N by the sum of the upward acceleration and gravitational field strength (14ms^-2). This results in a mass of 5kg. To explain why this works, one must use Newton's 2nd Law which states that the unbalanced force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The unbalanced force in this case is the difference between the tension in the spring and the weight of the body. By setting
TH02
Homework Statement
A body hangs from a spring-balance which is suspended from the ceiling if a lift. What is the mass of the body if the balance registers a reading of 70N when the lift has an upward acceleration of 4.0ms^-2. (g = 10ms^-2)
Relevant Equations
F = ma
Weight = mg
Much like the previous question I've posted I was quite unsure of the the method I should take and resorted after many attempts to just trial and error which resulted in getting the correct answer of 5kg after dividing the weight of 70N by 14ms^-2 (sum of upward acceleration and gravitational field strength). Can someone please explain why this works, or the proper method to the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
TH02 said:
Homework Statement:: A body hangs from a spring-balance which is suspended from the ceiling if a lift. What is the mass of the body if the balance registers a reading of 70N when the lift has an upward acceleration of 4.0ms^-2. (g = 10ms^-2)
Relevant Equations:: F = ma
Weight = mg

Much like the previous question I've posted I was quite unsure of the the method I should take and resorted after many attempts to just trial and error which resulted in getting the correct answer of 5kg after dividing the weight of 70N by 14ms^-2 (sum of upward acceleration and gravitational field strength). Can someone please explain why this works, or the proper method to the question?
Why do you think it doesn't work?

What is the ##F## in ##F = ma##? And don't just say "force"!

Would it be the tension in the spring? Or the weight of the body?

Chestermiller said:
Let’s see your fbd.
IMG_20200703_162730234.jpg

I am not sure if I've added all the forces I need

TH02 said:
View attachment 265762

I am not sure if I've added all the forces I need
Gravity? Isn't ##T = 70N##?

PeroK said:
Gravity? Isn't ##T = 70N##?
I'm sorry, I'm getting quite confused

TH02 said:
I'm sorry, I'm getting quite confused
The question tells you that the spring balance reads ##70N##. That means that ##T = 70N## in your diagram.

PeroK said:
The question tells you that the spring balance reads ##70N##. That means that ##T = 70N## in your diagram.
IMG_20200703_164919018.jpg

Is this more accurate?

That looks better. What does ##a = 4m/s^2## tell you?

PeroK said:
That looks better. What does ##a = 4m/s^2## tell you?
That I have a vertical acceleration of 4m/s^2?

TH02 said:
That I have a vertical acceleration of 4m/s^2?
Yes, okay, but more than that. Hint: Newton's 2nd Law.

PeroK said:
Yes, okay, but more than that. Hint: Newton's 2nd Law.
I'm not following, is it that the force being applied to the body is directly proportional to the acceleration acting on the body?

TH02 said:
I'm not following, is it that the force being applied to the body is directly proportional to the acceleration acting on the body?

The ##F## in Newton's law is the unbalanced force, which is the vector sum of all forces on the body. In this case we have:
$$F = T - mg, \ \ \text{and} \ \ F = ma$$
Where, to be precise, I have taken upwards as the positive dircetion.

Likes Lnewqban
PeroK said:
The F in Newton's law is the unbalanced force, which is the vector sum of all forces on the body. In this case we have:
F=T−mg, and F=ma
Where, to be precise, I have taken upwards as the positive dircetion.
Ahhh I see
IMG_20200703_171831782.jpg

Sorry for taking so long to get there! I appreciate the help

Likes Lnewqban and PeroK
TH02 said:

1. What is the true mass of a body in a lift?

The true mass of a body in a lift is the actual amount of matter that makes up the body, regardless of its location or surroundings. It is a fundamental property of an object and is measured in kilograms (kg).

2. Does the true mass of a body in a lift change?

The true mass of a body in a lift does not change, as it is an intrinsic property of the body. However, the apparent weight of the body may change due to the effects of gravity and other forces acting on the body in the lift.

3. How is the true mass of a body in a lift different from its weight?

The true mass of a body in a lift is different from its weight because weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on the body. Weight can vary depending on the location and surroundings of the body, while true mass remains constant.

4. How is the true mass of a body in a lift measured?

The true mass of a body in a lift can be measured using a scale or balance. The body is placed on the scale and the reading indicates the true mass of the body, taking into account the effects of gravity.

5. Why is it important to know the true mass of a body in a lift?

Knowing the true mass of a body in a lift is important for various reasons. It allows us to accurately calculate the effects of forces such as gravity and friction on the body. It also helps in determining the proper load capacity of the lift and ensuring the safety of its passengers.