What is the relationship between pipes and temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the lengthening of a 10 km highway after passing hot water pipes. The question is unclear and requires more information. The relevant equation, ΔL = L x a x ΔT, is provided but the linear expansion coefficient is missing. The conversation suggests making reasonable assumptions or looking up necessary values to solve the problem. Ultimately, the issue is resolved by using assumptions for the linear expansion coefficient.
deynak
Homework Statement
By how much can a 10 km highway lengthen after passing pipes with hot water?
a) 100m; b) 50m; c) 25m; d) 10m.
Relevant Equations
ΔL = L x a x ΔT
ΔL = total change in the length of the pipe [mm]
L = original pipe length [m]
a = linear expansion coefficient
ΔT = difference in temperature [°C]
It seems for me that something is missing on the question. Actually, I do not know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have provided a relevant equation. What do you need to know to answer the question using it? If it is not given to you, make some reasonable assumptions and/or look up any values you need to know.

deynak said:
Problem Statement: By how much can a 10 km highway lengthen after passing pipes with hot water?
a) 100m; b) 50m; c) 25m; d) 10m.
Relevant Equations: ΔL = L x a x ΔT
ΔL = total change in the length of the pipe [mm]
L = original pipe length [m]
a = linear expansion coefficient
ΔT = difference in temperature [°C]

It seems for me that something is missing on the question. Actually, I do not know where to start.
Is this really the exact statement of the problem? What does "after passing pipes with hot water" even mean?

Solved it! I used some assumptions for linear expansion coefficient .

Related to What is the relationship between pipes and temperature?

1. What is thermal expansion and how does it relate to pipes?

Thermal expansion is the increase in size or volume of a substance when its temperature rises. This can cause pipes to expand and contract, potentially leading to cracks or leaks.

2. How does temperature affect the flow of water through pipes?

As temperature increases, the molecules in water gain energy and move faster, causing the water to flow more quickly through pipes. Conversely, colder temperatures can cause the water to flow more slowly.

3. Can extreme temperatures damage pipes?

Yes, extreme temperatures can cause pipes to expand or contract beyond their limits, leading to cracks or bursts. This is especially common in freezing temperatures, as the water inside pipes can freeze and expand, causing them to burst.

4. Is there a specific temperature range that is ideal for pipes?

Yes, most pipes are designed to withstand a range of temperatures, typically between 32°F (0°C) and 212°F (100°C). However, the ideal temperature for pipes may vary depending on the material and purpose of the pipes.

5. How can temperature changes affect the lifespan of pipes?

Extreme temperature changes, such as frequent fluctuations between hot and cold, can put stress on pipes and potentially shorten their lifespan. Additionally, extremely high or low temperatures can cause damage to pipes over time.