What is the relative area of a rectangular field?

In summary, the area of the field seen by the astronaut in the spaceship is the sum of the areas of the two triangles created by the major diagonal.
Julian102

Homework Statement

If the area of a rectangular field has length of 110 m and 80 m.If a spaceship is traveling with 0.9c velocity along the diagonal of the field.Then what is the area of the field seen by the astronaut in the spaceship?

Homework Equations

L=L(initial) Root over (1- (v/c)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Guys,this will change to a non-rectangular parallelogram.I used resolved part theory at first to find Lx(along length) and Ly(along breadth). Then, I used the formula of relativity for length contraction on Lx(along length) and Ly(along breadth) . Now I get the area A= Lx*Ly

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it become a parallelogram?

faradayscat said:
Why would it become a parallelogram?
Length contraction along one diagonal but not along the other would result in a distortion of the rectangle.

Contractraction occurs along the direction of travel, but not along direction perpendicular to the direction of travel.

Does this image help?

Fig2.PNG

Likes Julian102
DaveC426913 said:
Length contraction along one diagonal but not along the other would result in a distortion of the rectangle.

Ah yes the other diagonal.. totally forgot! Thanks

gneill said:
Contractraction occurs along the direction of travel, but not along direction perpendicular to the direction of travel.

Does this image help?
Well now how will I solve the problem?

View attachment 94471

Then how will I find the area?

Julian102 said:
Consider a small element dxdy, using coordinates in the direction of and at right angles to the velocity of the spaceship. What is the apparent area of that element?
Sum.
faradayscat said:
Ah yes the other diagonal.. totally forgot! Thanks
No, not the other diagonal, exactly. It's a rectangle, not a square. See gneill's diagram.

Julian102 said:
If you study gneill's diagram, you have two triangles created by the major diagonal. Since there is no length contraction perpendicular to the line of travel, the heights of the triangles are the same as for the original field layout. You have computed the contracted length of the diagonal, so it's a matter of calculating the areas of these triangles and adding them together. If you do a little algebra, there is a simple answer as to what the contracted area of the field is.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a rectangular field?

The formula for finding the area of a rectangular field is length x width. This means that you multiply the length of the field by its width to get the total area.

2. How do you measure the length and width of a rectangular field?

The length and width of a rectangular field can be measured using a measuring tape or a measuring wheel. Simply measure from one end of the field to the other for the length, and from one side to the other for the width.

3. Can the area of a rectangular field be negative?

No, the area of a rectangular field cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space inside the field, so it will always be a positive value.

4. What unit of measurement is typically used for measuring the area of a rectangular field?

The most common unit of measurement for the area of a rectangular field is square feet (ft²) or square meters (m²). However, other units such as acres or hectares may also be used.

5. How does the shape of a rectangular field affect its area?

The shape of a rectangular field does not affect its area. As long as the length and width remain the same, the area will not change. However, if the shape is not a perfect rectangle, the formula for finding the area may be different.