What is the resultant angle of three forces acting on an object?

• Thread starter goonking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary: Since |F1| = |F2| their resultant must be at where? (Symmetry.)The angle between F1 and F2 is 90 degrees. The angle between F1 and F2 is 90 degrees.
goonking
http://imgur.com/BFRxPPb

Ok, so I broke up the Y and X components.

F1x =| F2x + F3x| since they cancel each other out.

F3Y = |F2Y + F1Y| since they cancel each other out.

I have no idea what to do from here. Do I need to find the angel of F3 to get somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a template for you to lay out your homework help requests. Please use it.

You seem to have written out all the information needed. Now substitute for the known values.

NascentOxygen said:
There is a template for you to lay out your homework help requests. Please use it.

You seem to have written out all the information needed. Now substitute for the known values.
what was the point of having the degrees then? are they have any use?

goonking said:
what was the point of having the degrees then? are they have any use?
That forms part of the data you substitute in your force relationship expressions.

NascentOxygen said:
That forms part of the data you substitute in your force relationship expressions.
so does it look something like this?

F3x = - (( F1 cos 11) + (F2 cos23) )
and
F3y = - ( (F1 sin 11) + (F2 sin23) )

There is some more data that you can substitute, too.

NascentOxygen said:
There is some more data that you can substitute, too.
I wish I knew more data but I don't. This is just very complicated for me lol

You do know more! You have used the directions of the forces. What do you know about the magnitude of the forces?

Merlin3189 said:
You do know more! You have used the directions of the forces. What do you know about the magnitude of the forces?
that F1 and F2 are equal? that's about it lol

So that will simplify the expressions you had.
Since you are asked about F3 : F1 you don't want F2 in your expressions.

Merlin3189 said:
So that will simplify the expressions you had.
Since you are asked about F3 : F1 you don't want F2 in your expressions.
F1x cos 11 + F1y sin 11 = F2y Sin 23 + F2x Cos23

is that have any value?

F1 and F3 are the ones you want to keep.

You have so far,
F3x = - (( F1 cos 11) + (F2 cos23) )
F3y = - ( (F1 sin 11) + (F2 sin23) )

You don't want F2, so replace it (you said "that F1 and F2 are equal? that's about it lol" ) Then you also want F3 , but so far you only have F3x and F3y
Now you got from F1x to F1 by noticing that F1x = F1 cos11
You haven't done that for F3x because you don't know the angle, I expect.
But if you look at the diagram and think about it, you DO know the angle. Draw in the resultant of F1 and F2 and work out its angle.
Clue: Since |F1| = |F2| their resultant must be at where? (Symmetry.)

What is the definition of "3 forces acting on an object"?

Three forces acting on an object refers to the concept in physics that an object can experience multiple external forces at the same time, and the resulting motion of the object is determined by the net combination of these forces.

What are examples of 3 forces acting on an object?

Some examples of 3 forces acting on an object include a person pushing a shopping cart with a constant force while also experiencing the force of gravity and friction, a car accelerating while also experiencing air resistance and friction from the wheels, and a book sitting on a table with the forces of gravity, the table supporting it, and the book's weight pushing down on the table.

What is the importance of understanding 3 forces acting on an object?

Understanding 3 forces acting on an object is crucial in physics as it allows us to accurately predict and explain the motion of objects. By considering all the forces acting on an object, we can determine the net force and acceleration of the object and make informed predictions about its future motion.

What happens when 3 forces acting on an object are in equilibrium?

When 3 forces acting on an object are in equilibrium, it means that the net force on the object is zero. In this case, the object will either be at rest or moving at a constant velocity. This concept is known as the first law of motion or the law of inertia.

How can the direction and magnitude of 3 forces acting on an object be determined?

The direction and magnitude of 3 forces acting on an object can be determined using vector addition. This involves breaking down each force into its components and then adding them together to find the resultant force. The direction of the resultant force will be in the same direction as the acceleration of the object, and its magnitude will be the net force acting on the object.