Net Forces of 3 uneqaul charges of equilateral triangle

In summary: I realized that I made some calculation mistakes and I was able to get the correct values. Thank you for your help.
Lena Carling
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Three point charges are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle as Q1 in the top, charge Q2 in the left corner and charge Q3 in teh right corner. Each leg of the triangle has a length of 2.03 meters. And the charges have values as follows. Q1 = 4.07 microcoulombs, Q2 = - 7.7 microcoulombs, and Q3 = -6.93 microcoulombs. Calculate the net electric force (both magnitude and direction) exerted on Q1, Q2,Q3.

I was tryting to solve these problem, but did not get proper result.

My solution:

1) For Q1 and Q2 have attrative Forces as Q1 and Q3 , for Q2 and Q3 Forces are repulsive.

2) F1net for Q1:

F1,2 = kQ1Q2/d^2, so F1,2x=-(kQ1Q2/d^2)xcos60; F1,2y= -(kQ1Q2/d^2)xsin60

F1,3 = kQ1Q3/d^2, so F1,3x=(kQ1Q3/d^2)xcos60; F1,3y= -(kQ1Q3/d^2)xsin60

F1x= -(kQ1Q2/d^2)xcos60+(kQ1Q3/d^2)xcos60

F1y= -(kQ1Q2/d^2)xsin60 +kQ1Q3/d^2)xsin60)

I got F1net=square root of ((F1x^2 )+(F1y^2))

But F1x are equal 0 or not? They do not have the same magnitude, but I solve for both cases equal 0 and not, but finally did not get corret answer for F1net magnitude and direction.

3) F2 net for Q2:

F2,1=kQ2Q1/d^2, so F2,1x=kQ2,Q1/d^2xcos60; F2,1y= (kQ2,Q1/d^2)xsin60

F2,3=kQ2Q3/d^2, so F2,3x=-kQ2Q2/d^2; F2,3y=0

F2x=kQ2Q1/d^2xcos60+(-kQ2,3Q2/d^2)

F2y=(kQ2,3Q1/d^2)xsin60

F2net=square root of ((F2x^2 )+(F2y^2))

I and did not get correct answer after calculation for magnitude and direction for F2net.

4) F3 net for Q3:

F3,1=kQ3Q1/d^2, so F3,1x= -kQ3Q1/d^2xcos60; F3,1y=(kQ2,3Q1/d^2)xsin 60

F3,2= kQ3Q2/d^2, so F3,2x=kQ3,2/d^2; F3,2y=0

F3x=-kQ3Q1/d^2xcos60+F3,2x=kQ3,2/d^2

F3y=kQ3,2/d^2

F3net=square root of ((F3x)^2+(F3y)^2)

I did not get right answer after calculation of net F3 and direction too.

I feel that I put correct vectors for x and y for the Forces for all 3 charges, only not sure just about F1x. Please, help me to get right answer, maybe I got mistake in calculations? Thanks. Due is Feb. 25, 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks OK. At least for the first force. I did not read past that.
No, why would you think that Fx is zero?
I cannot tell more unless you show your actual calculation. I think you should get the right answer from these formulas.

Thanks, I decided that magnitudes are not equal, so F1x is not equal 0. But when I was plugging numbers finally, I was getting wrong answers few times and got confused about everything in this problem.

So, now you've got the right values?

nasu said:
So, now you've got the right values?
Yes, I did.

What is the net force of 3 unequal charges arranged in an equilateral triangle?

The net force of 3 unequal charges arranged in an equilateral triangle depends on the magnitude and direction of each individual charge. To calculate the net force, you can use Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do you determine the direction of the net force in this scenario?

The direction of the net force can be determined by drawing a vector diagram and using vector addition. Each individual charge will have its own force vector, and the net force will be the vector sum of these individual forces. The direction of the net force will be in the same direction as the resultant vector.

What would happen to the net force if one of the charges is doubled?

If one of the charges is doubled, the net force will also be doubled. This is because the force between two charges is directly proportional to their magnitudes. However, the direction of the net force may change depending on the location of the doubled charge in relation to the other two charges.

Is it possible for the net force to be zero in this situation?

Yes, it is possible for the net force to be zero in this situation. This can occur if the three charges are arranged such that the force vectors cancel each other out. This can happen if the charges are of equal magnitude and are symmetrically arranged.

How does the distance between the charges affect the net force?

The distance between the charges has an inverse relationship with the net force. As the distance between the charges increases, the net force decreases. This is because of the inverse square law in Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Therefore, the farther apart the charges are, the weaker the net force will be.