What is the RMS magnetic field of light

In summary, the window receives energy from sunlight, which creates a magnetic field. The magnetic field has an energy density of 9.0 x 10^4 Tm/A.
lloyd21

Homework Statement

A window, 1.0m by 1.0m receives 27J of energy, from sunlight, in one minute. What is the Rms magnetic field of the light striking the window.

Homework Equations

E = cB
I = (ErmsBrms) / μo

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if those equations are right when solving this problem and can't find a problem similar to it...completely stuck. Do I use Poynting's vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a homogeneous magnetic field within some volume, what is its energy density?
For an electromagnetic field satisfying E=cB, what is the associated energy density of the electric field?

How can you convert the given area and time to a volume, and why does the approach with a homogeneous field work?

Energy Density = B^2 / Mew ??

µ (mu)?

##\displaystyle \frac {B^2} {2 \mu}## is the energy density of magnetic fields.

Yes I get that, I don't know how I would find the magnetic field. The area is 1. Not to sure how that and time can get a volume either.

I first found the intensity I = (27 J) / (60s)(1) = 0.45 W/m2

If I= EoBo / 2Mu

then Bo = 2Mu I / Eo

So Bo = 2(4pie x 10^-7 Tm/A) (0.45 W/m^2) / (8.854x10^-12 F/m)

Bo = 1.2x 10^5

Brms = 1.2 x 10^5 / sqrt(2) = 9.0 x 10^4

Other than my final units which I don't know yet, does that look correct??

lloyd21 said:
If I= EoBo / 2Mu
Where does that equation come from? What are "Eo" and "Bo"?

Eo is Electric Field of 8.854x10^-12
Bo is the magnetic field I would solve for? then turn into Brms by dividing my answer by sqrt(2) ...?

lloyd21 said:
Eo is Electric Field of 8.854x10^-12
That doesn't make sense.
The electric field strength does not have a fixed value in any unit system.
The electric vacuum permittivity has this numerical value in a suitable unit system, if you add those units. It is not the electric field strength.

Stop multiplying random numbers please, this does not help.
I gave hints how to approach the problem in post 2, you can follow them if you like. So far you just followed the first hint given there.

Yes, number 1.
mimg41.gif

2. I don't know the magnetic field B, c is the speed of light in a vacuum constant?
3. I don't know how the area and time can give volume.

lloyd21 said:
2. I don't know the magnetic field B, c is the speed of light in a vacuum constant?
B is B. Yes c is the speed of light in vacuum (and to a good approximation the speed of light in air).
lloyd21 said:
3. I don't know how the area and time can give volume.
You know the speed.

https://s.yimg.com/hd/answers/i/a22e6906e4a44a42b9eac01e38e8e649_A.png?a=answers&mr=0&x=1449097211&s=669a9de4864363846733969a48433616 This is what I initially used...are these correct or incorrect

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use the Poynting vector, sure, but you have to find some way to eliminate unknown quantities (like the electric field) out of that equation.
The relation between electric and magnetic field is in post 1 already.

Im more confused now than when I started...I have no idea

wait, the volume times the energy should give me a total energy density. Then multiply that by Mew, and sqrt it...that will give my rms magnetic field!?

1. What is the RMS magnetic field of light?

The RMS magnetic field of light refers to the root-mean-square (RMS) value of the magnetic field component of an electromagnetic wave. It represents the average strength of the magnetic field over time.

2. How is the RMS magnetic field of light measured?

The RMS magnetic field of light can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a magnetometer or a spectrometer. These instruments can detect the strength of the magnetic field and calculate the RMS value.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the RMS magnetic field of light?

The unit of measurement for the RMS magnetic field of light is tesla (T) or its smaller unit, microtesla (μT). Other common units include gauss (G) and milligauss (mG).

4. How does the RMS magnetic field of light affect living organisms?

The impact of the RMS magnetic field of light on living organisms is still not fully understood. Some studies suggest that exposure to high levels of magnetic fields can have harmful effects on the body, while others show no significant effects. More research is needed to fully understand the potential impacts.

5. Can the RMS magnetic field of light be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the RMS magnetic field of light can be shielded or blocked using materials that can redirect or absorb the magnetic field. This is commonly done in electronic devices to prevent interference from external magnetic fields. However, it is important to note that not all materials can effectively block magnetic fields and the strength of the field may also affect the level of shielding.