What is the route to becoming a doctor or a physician in US/Canada?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doctor
In summary: Shed some light thank you?In summary, the route to becoming a doctor is different for everyone, but it generally requires a degree in physics, bio chemistry, and math.
flyingpig
No I am not becoming a doctor, I am just curious. Whati s the route because at a physics curriculum talk, the prof talked about having a BS in Physics helps the "MCAT"

I thought you have to have a degree in Biochemistry to apply to med school (is it like 4 years and then another 2yrs as an interin? That's how it was for that guy from Scrubs)

Shed some light thank you?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the US, you can major in anything and apply to med school as long as you take the premed classes - 2 semesters of bio, 4 semesters of chem (organic and inorganic), 2 semesters of physics, math through calculus, and English. Physics majors tend to score higher on the MCAT than most other majors, but any major is fine. After the bachelors, it's 4 years of med school, followed by 3-5 years of residency - one year of internship, two more for internal medicine/GP/pediatrics (like JD on scrubs) and four more for surgical residencies (like Turk).

So their BS in Physics will take 6 years? "2 sem of bio, 4 sem of chem, ..."

flyingpig said:

Most people would just take the courses at same time as the courses required for their major. There's no need to spend an extra 2 years.

flyingpig said:

I'm pretty sure the other poster meant semester courses, not actual entire semesters.

But the requirements certainly vary from school to school. In fact, my school's program doesn't require any subjects, though it recommends helpful subjects without taking them into consideration for admission.
Also, I know that many if not most MD schools here in Canada actually only require 2 years of undergrad, but competition is so high that a degree has become the de-facto minimum requirement. It's kinda sad that students have to take 2 extra years just because of high competition when we always seem to be suffering from a chronic shortage of doctors.

What are the general steps to becoming a doctor or physician in the US/Canada?

The general steps to becoming a doctor or physician in the US/Canada include completing a bachelor's degree, taking the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), attending medical school, completing a residency program, and obtaining a medical license.

What undergraduate degree is recommended for aspiring doctors or physicians?

Most medical schools recommend completing a bachelor's degree in a science-related field such as biology, chemistry, or physics. However, some medical schools accept students with non-science backgrounds as well.

What is the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and why is it important?

The MCAT is a standardized exam that assesses a student's knowledge of science, critical thinking, and problem-solving ability. It is an important factor in the medical school admissions process as it helps determine a student's readiness for medical school.

What is the difference between a doctor and a physician?

The terms "doctor" and "physician" are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference. A doctor is a general term for someone who has completed a doctoral degree, while a physician specifically refers to a medical doctor who has completed medical school and is licensed to practice medicine.

Is the process of becoming a doctor or physician the same in the US and Canada?

The process of becoming a doctor or physician in the US and Canada is similar, but there are some differences. For example, in Canada, medical students are required to complete a two-year residency program before they can practice, while in the US, residency programs typically last three to seven years.