Do I need Physics and Calculus in HS for uni?

In summary, as a grade 11 student preparing for university, you may need to take physics, calculus, and other natural sciences or engineering courses in order to become a family physician. However, these courses can also be taken at the undergraduate level. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry before taking these courses. Additionally, for those planning to attend medical school in the USA, a strong understanding of precalculus-based physics may be necessary for the MCAT exam.
ccaatt
I am very clueless when it comes to prepping for university and things like that, and as a grade 11 going into grade 12 soon, I unfortunately have to figure it out one day or another. So, I have a few quick questions, would I need Physics 30 or Calculus/Math 31 in order to become a family physician? What universities courses would I take in order to become a family physician? Any med school recommendations? Any help dealing with this will help. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
ccaatt said:
I am very clueless when it comes to prepping for university and things like that, and as a grade 11 going into grade 12 soon, I unfortunately have to figure it out one day or another. So, I have a few quick questions, would I need Physics 30 or Calculus/Math 31 in order to become a family physician? What universities courses would I take in order to become a family physician? Any med school recommendations? Any help dealing with this will help. Thank you!
Family physician, any kind of physician or Medical Doctor, or any, ANY of the natural sciences or engineering (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, all kinds of Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, ...) will require at a very minimum at university, Introductory and Intermediate Algebra, Geometry (with proofs), Trigonometry, "College Algebra" or Precalculus, three-semester sequence of Calculus With Analytic Geometry, and often one or two more courses usually Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, or a combination course of both,... and more if you want or can handle or need more.

The absolute minimum:
One semester Trigonometry,
Three semester sequence of Calculus with Analytic Geometry.
You do those IN COLLEGE or the university.

A course in Statistics may also be necessary.

Your title question: Do you need Calculus in high school, if you want to be a... physician?

NO. Try hard to study Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and Trigonometry/Mathematical Analysis, while in high school.
WHY?
You must become good at most of those, especially Algebra so you can be qualified to study Trigonometry and Calculus.

I agree. You don't need to take physics or calculus in high school for your career path. You'll definitely be taking them as an undergraduate. If you can take these topics in high school, it would probably a great help in your performance in those topics when you take them university. You probably should try to get a non-calculus physics course in HS if possible for the below reason.

I don't know anything about med school. But if you're doing it in the USA, you need to take the MCAT if I'm not mistaken. Looking at the topic list, you definitely need to learn precalculus based physics well as that's covered. Calculus is not listed in the expected math knowledge to solve the science exam sections.

https://www.mcat-prep.com/mcat-topics-list/

What is the importance of studying Physics and Calculus in high school for university?

Studying Physics and Calculus in high school is important for university because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in higher education. Additionally, many university programs require students to have a strong foundation in these subjects.

Can I get into a university without taking Physics and Calculus in high school?

It is possible to get into a university without taking Physics and Calculus in high school, but it may limit your options for programs and universities. It is always beneficial to have a strong understanding of these subjects before entering university.

What careers require knowledge of Physics and Calculus?

Careers in fields such as engineering, computer science, economics, and medicine often require a strong understanding of Physics and Calculus. These subjects are also useful in many other career paths as they develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.

Do universities prefer students who have taken Physics and Calculus in high school?

Yes, universities do prefer students who have taken Physics and Calculus in high school. These subjects demonstrate a strong academic background and show that a student is prepared for the rigorous coursework at the university level.

Is it too late to start learning Physics and Calculus in high school?

No, it is never too late to start learning Physics and Calculus in high school. While it may be more challenging to catch up, it is still possible to develop a strong understanding of these subjects with dedication and hard work.