What is the solution to this volume integral problem?

In summary, the conversation revolved around evaluating a volume integral and the difficulties that the person was facing with it. They had attempted various methods and achieved different answers, but were unsure of where they were going wrong. Another person then provided feedback and clarification on the correct integration limits and how to solve the integral correctly, resulting in a final answer of 1. A graphical representation was suggested to further understand the problem.
johnwalton84
I'm have trouble trying to evaluate the volume integral (shown in question.gif).

I've attempted integrating it a few different ways, either achieveing an answer of 3 or 5.75, and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. (Some of what I've done is in attempted_solution.gif)

Any comments gratefully received...

Attachments

• question.gif
    question.gif
    939 bytes · Views: 436
  • attempted_solution.gif
    attempted_solution.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
Your upper limits are not meaningful!
Let's look at this closely:
a) 0<=y<=3
These bounds should be obvious.
b) 0<=x and 0<=z
Okay?
c) Now, to the last limit indicated by the plane x+z=1
Since, by b) neither x or z can be negative, we can choose the following limits:
0<=x<=1
0<=z<=1-x

Okay with this?

arildno said:
Your upper limits are not meaningful!
Let's look at this closely:
a) 0<=y<=3
These bounds should be obvious.
b) 0<=x and 0<=z
Okay?
c) Now, to the last limit indicated by the plane x+z=1
Since, by b) neither x or z can be negative, we can choose the following limits:
0<=x<=1
0<=z<=1-x

Okay with this?

Since we're speaking about the triorthogonal tetrahedron determined by the intersection of the plane [itex] 3x+y+3z=3 [/itex] with the coordinate axes,maybe a graphical representation might help.
Chosing the integration limits correctly (the way Arildno showed you),u find after easy calculations that the integral should yield 1.

Yes, I've got it now. Thanks.

:rofl:

1. What is a volume integral problem?

A volume integral problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object or region using integration techniques. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine properties such as mass, density, and flow rates.

2. How is a volume integral problem different from a surface integral problem?

A volume integral problem is concerned with calculating the volume of a three-dimensional region, while a surface integral problem involves finding the area of a two-dimensional surface. Volume integrals use triple integrals, while surface integrals use double integrals.

3. What are some real-world applications of volume integral problems?

Volume integral problems have various applications in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. For example, they can be used to calculate the volume of a fluid in a container, the electric charge enclosed within a region, or the amount of heat transferred in a solid object.

4. How do you set up a volume integral problem?

To set up a volume integral problem, you first need to define the boundaries of the three-dimensional region you want to calculate the volume of. This can be done using inequalities or parametric equations. Then, you need to determine the integrand, which is the function that will be integrated over the given region. Finally, you can use integration techniques to solve for the volume.

5. What are some common techniques for solving volume integral problems?

Some common techniques for solving volume integral problems include using Cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates, as well as using symmetry to simplify the integrand. In some cases, you may also need to use substitution or integration by parts to solve the integral.