What Is the Speed at the Top of a Projectile's Trajectory?

In summary, the projectile fired straight upward at 135 m/s has a speed of 0 m/s at the instant it reaches the top of its trajectory. If it were instead fired upward at 35°, its vertical speed would still be 0 m/s at the top of its trajectory, while its horizontal speed can be calculated using trigonometry. In the second conversation, the ground velocity of an airplane with an air speed of 95 km/h in a 105 km/h crosswind blowing from west to east, with its nose pointed north in the crosswind, can be found using vectors and trigonometry. The magnitude of its ground velocity is ______ km/h and the direction is ______° counterclockwise from east
Mr530
A projectile is fired straight upward at 135 m/s. How fast is it moving at the instant it reaches the top of its trajectory?
My answer: 0 m/s

Suppose instead it were fired upward at 35°. What would be its speed at the top of its trajectory?
m/s

I do not know how to approach this. Does it want vertical speed or horizontal speed? How do I calculate this?

and...

Consider an airplane that normally has an air speed of 95 km/h in a 105 km/h crosswind blowing from west to east. Calculate its ground velocity when its nose is pointed north in the crosswind.
Magnitude
______ km/h
Direction
______° (counterclockwise from east)

I have been staring at this problem for the last hour, I do not know how to set this up. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It wants both horizontal and vertical. But because it said the top of the trajectory, one of these is zero. And you know which one based on your first answer. So find the other. It should be easy as it does not involve acceleration. But it might involve knowing something about right triangles.

so i would first need to find the time in the air. This can be determined by vertical motion, but would it be at the same 135m/s even though it is at a 60 degree angel, or would i need to use vectors/trig in order to find the velocity at 60 degrees?

Related to What Is the Speed at the Top of a Projectile's Trajectory?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the factors that cause the motion.

2. What is the difference between 2D and 3D kinematics?

2D kinematics deals with the motion of objects in two-dimensional space, while 3D kinematics deals with the motion of objects in three-dimensional space.

3. How do you calculate velocity in 2D kinematics?

Velocity in 2D kinematics is calculated by finding the displacement in both the x and y directions and dividing by the time taken to travel that distance. This can be represented as v = Δx/Δt in the x direction and v = Δy/Δt in the y direction.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in 2D kinematics?

Speed is a scalar quantity that only considers the magnitude of an object's motion, while velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion.

5. How do you calculate acceleration in 2D kinematics?

Acceleration in 2D kinematics is calculated by finding the change in velocity in both the x and y directions and dividing by the time taken for that change to occur. This can be represented as a = Δv/Δt in the x direction and a = Δv/Δt in the y direction.