What is the speed of a mass on a spring at a displacement of 0.2 m?

• Thread starter CabalGroupie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the problem involves a 2.0 kg mass on a spring with a spring constant of 65 N/m. The task is to find the speed of the mass when it is displaced 0.2 m from equilibrium. Using the equations for kinetic and potential energy, the initial potential energy of the spring is found to be 2.925 J and the maximum speed of the mass is 1.71 m/s. However, the textbook answer is 1.27 m/s. A mistake may have been made in the calculation, as the correct solution should be closer to 1.27 m/s.
CabalGroupie

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg mass on a spring is extended 0.3 m from equilibrium position and released. The spring constant is 65 N/m.

C.Find the speed of the mass when the displacement is 0.2 m

Homework Equations

Ek=(0.5)(m) (v^2)
Ep=(0.5)(k) (x^2)
Ek+Ep=E

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already ascertain from the previous parts of this question that the initial potential energy of the spring is 2.925 J, and the maximum speed reached by this mass is 1.71 m/s. According to my textbook the answer is 1.27 m/s but I keep getting...

(1/2)(m) (v^2)=(1/2)(k) (x^2)
v^2=(1/2)(65)(0.2^2)
v=1.14

Physics news on Phys.org
The spring is initially stretched 0.3m from equilibrium, and then when it is released and is displaced 0.2m it is still stretched but has some velocity. So what is the energy before release, and what is the energy at 0.2m from equilibrium after release?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I solved this for v and got 1.27. You might have made a mistake.

(1/2)(m) (v^2)+(1/2)(k) (x^2)=(1/2)(m)(1.71^2)

[Edit: you should have used 0.3, not 0.2 here

(1/2)(m) (v^2)+(1/2)(k) (x^2)v^2=(1/2)(65)(0.3^2)

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Mentz114 said:
(1/2)(m) (v^2)+(1/2)(k) (x^2)v^2=(1/2)(m)(1.71^2)
The second term is dimensionally wrong. I guess you meant (1/2)m v2+(1/2)k x2=(1/2)m1.712, though it's probably better to use (1/2)m v2+(1/2)k x12=(1/2)k x02, minimising the growth of rounding errors.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
The second term is dimensionally wrong. I guess you meant (1/2)m v2+(1/2)k x2=(1/2)m1.712, though it's probably better to use (1/2)m v2+(1/2)k x12=(1/2)k x02, minimising the growth of rounding errors.
Sorry that v^2 is a typo. Tsk... I have corrected the post, thanks for pointing it out.

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability of a system to do work or cause change. It comes in many different forms, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and electromagnetic.

2. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a sinusoidal (or wave-like) motion.

3. What is the relationship between energy and harmonic motion?

In harmonic motion, energy is constantly being exchanged between kinetic and potential energy. As the object moves away from equilibrium, potential energy increases and kinetic energy decreases. As it moves back towards equilibrium, the opposite occurs.

4. How is energy related to the frequency of harmonic motion?

The frequency of harmonic motion is directly related to the amount of energy present. The higher the frequency, the more energy is being exchanged between kinetic and potential energy.

5. How does the amplitude of harmonic motion affect energy?

The amplitude of harmonic motion, which is the maximum displacement from equilibrium, affects the total energy of the system. A larger amplitude results in a higher potential energy and a lower kinetic energy, while a smaller amplitude results in the opposite.