What is the speed of each particle?

In summary, the problem involves two masses, m1 and m2, connected by a spring with an elastic constant k and released from a state where the spring is at a 45 degree angle with the bars. The masses slide without friction over parallel and rigid bars placed a distance d apart. The goal is to calculate the velocity of m1 when the system reaches a second state shown in the provided figure. The solution is v1 = √(k/3m1) ⋅ d.
OierL

Homework Statement

Both m1 and m2 (m1=2m2) masses can slide without friction over parallel and rigid bars that are placed at a distance d from each other. A spring with elastic constant k and with zero natural length connects both masses. The system is placed on a table. The system is released when it is in the state (1) shown in the figure (i.e. when the spring is at 45◦ with the bars). Calculate, when the bodies arrive to state (2) in the figure:
upload_2018-12-21_19-28-50.png
The solution is: v1 =√(k/3m1) ⋅ d

Homework Equations

p=m⋅v
F(spring)=-k⋅x
Ek=1/2⋅m⋅v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have any idea of how to do this problem... I've been trying to solve it for hours. Please, help!

I have computed that X(enter of mass)=2d/3⋅tan(45º) and that v2=2⋅v1
I don't know how to continue...

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-21_19-26-11.png
    upload_2018-12-21_19-26-11.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 339
  • upload_2018-12-21_19-26-46.png
    upload_2018-12-21_19-26-46.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 280
  • upload_2018-12-21_19-28-50.png
    upload_2018-12-21_19-28-50.png
    5 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show what you've tried, even if it didn't work out.

Have you at least looked into applicable conservation laws?

Likes jbriggs444
OierL said:
I don't have any idea of how to do this problem..
Conservation of work typically doesn't help in finding a time. Think about forces when in some intermediate position.

haruspex said:
Conservation of work typically doesn't help in finding a time.
I concur and wholeheartedly agree. However, couched beside the figure in the original post is that text: "The solution is: v1 =√(k/3m1) ⋅ d", so it would appear that they are looking for the velocity of m1 "when" the bodies are positioned as shown in the second figure. The problem is perhaps phrased a tad unfortunately; They are looking for a velocity rather than a time.

gneill said:
I concur and wholeheartedly agree. However, couched beside the figure in the original post is that text: "The solution is: v1 =√(k/3m1) ⋅ d", so it would appear that they are looking for the velocity of m1 "when" the bodies are positioned as shown in the second figure. The problem is perhaps phrased a tad unfortunately; They are looking for a velocity rather than a time.
Ah yes, the all-important comma. Eats, shoots and leaves.
Unfortunately the images meant to show the whole question are truncated.

Thanks!

haruspex said:
Ah yes, the all-important comma. Eats, shoots and leaves.
:smile: Also agreed. Well said.

1. What is the definition of speed in particle physics?

In particle physics, speed is defined as the rate at which a particle travels through space and time.

2. How is the speed of a particle measured?

The speed of a particle can be measured using high-energy particle accelerators or by analyzing the decay products of a particle in a laboratory setting.

3. Is the speed of a particle constant?

No, the speed of a particle can vary depending on its energy and the medium through which it is traveling.

4. Can particles travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, particles with mass cannot travel faster than the speed of light. However, theoretical particles called tachyons are thought to be able to exceed the speed of light. These particles have not yet been observed in experiments.

5. How does the speed of a particle affect its behavior?

The speed of a particle can affect its behavior in many ways, including its ability to interact with other particles, its decay rate, and its mass. In some cases, high speeds can also cause particles to exhibit unique properties, such as time dilation and length contraction.