What is the speed of the cart 3.5 s after the fan is on?

In summary: I suggest that you make a habit of always including units with your numerical values in your calculations. That will help you to remember to include units when you give your final answer.In summary, the velocity of the 2.34-kg cart, after it is turned on, can be calculated by using the equation v= -0.00283t^3+ 0.22, where t is the time in seconds, and the final answer is 0.098 m/s. The acceleration of the cart is negative, in the opposite direction of the velocity.
emily081715

Homework Statement

A 2.34-kg cart on a long, level, low-friction track is heading for a small electric fan at 0.22 m/s . The fan, which was initially off, is turned on. As the fan speeds up, the magnitude of the force it exerts on the cart is given by at2, where a = 0.0200 N/s2. What is the speed of the cart 3.5 s after the fan is turned on?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a=F/m
=0.02t^2/2.34 *t^2
=0.0085t^2

v=0.205(3.5)^3+ 0.22
=9.00m/s
what is my error?

Physics news on Phys.org
emily081715 said:

Homework Statement

A 2.34-kg cart on a long, level, low-friction track is heading for a small electric fan at 0.22 m/s . The fan, which was initially off, is turned on. As the fan speeds up, the magnitude of the force it exerts on the cart is given by at2, where a = 0.0200 N/s2. What is the speed of the cart 3.5 s after the fan is turned on?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a=F/m
=0.02t^2/2.34 *t^2
=0.0085t^2

v=0.205(3.5)^3+ 0.22
=9.00m/s
what is my error?
How did you arrive at the number 0.205 in the expression for v?

What is the direction of the acceleration compared to the direction of the velocity?

So your calculation for the first part is mostly fine, but, the cart will be decelerating as it heads towards the fan so this acceleration value must be negative.
It really helps if you draw a diagram of a physics problem so you can keep track of what is where and in which direction.
The second equation: v = at + vo is indeed the right one to use, but I can't figure out where this 0.205 has come from... you just calculated the acceleration, it should read something like this:
v = (-0.0085)t2(t) + vo

Last edited:
Hello Garth Vader. Welcome to PF!

When giving help on homework, we try to give "minimal" help to get the student on track. Then the student can still do as much of the work as possible. We definitely try to avoid showing the complete solution. (I don't think your expression for v is correct.)

Of course, there is a gray area here, with different opinions about how much help is too much. I know I've been guilty of giving away too much information at times.

Here's where you can read the rules for PhysicsForums.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/
There's a section on homework guidelines.

Thanks for being willing to help out here at PF. Hope you stay around.

TSny said:
Hello Garth Vader. Welcome to PF!

When giving help on homework, we try to give "minimal" help to get the student on track. Then the student can still do as much of the work as possible. We definitely try to avoid showing the complete solution. (I don't think your expression for v is correct.)

Of course, there is a gray area here, with different opinions about how much help is too much. I know I've been guilty of giving away too much information at times.

Here's where you can read the rules for PhysicsForums.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/
There's a section on homework guidelines.

Thanks for being willing to help out here at PF. Hope you stay around.
Ah yes, will try not give too much away next time.

TSny said:
How did you arrive at the number 0.205 in the expression for v?

What is the direction of the acceleration compared to the direction of the velocity?
acceleration is in the opposite direction so there should be a negative sign in front. i got the number for speed by multiplying by two during intergation

Yes, the acceleration is negative. Check the integration. The factor of .205 is incorrect.

TSny said:
Yes, the acceleration is negative. Check the integration. The factor of .205 is incorrect.
i got the equation for v now as v= -0.00283t^3+ 0.22

emily081715 said:
i got the equation for v now as v= -0.00283t^3+ 0.22
getting an answer of 0.098

That looks correct. Of course you should include the proper units with your answer.

What is the speed of the cart 3.5 s after the fan is on?

The speed of the cart at 3.5 seconds after the fan is turned on will depend on various factors such as the initial speed of the cart, the force of the fan, and the mass of the cart. It cannot be determined without knowing these variables.

What is the importance of knowing the speed of the cart after the fan is on?

Knowing the speed of the cart after the fan is turned on is important for understanding the effects of external forces on the motion of the cart. It also allows for the prediction and control of the cart's movement.

How can the speed of the cart 3.5 s after the fan is on be measured?

The speed of the cart can be measured by using a stopwatch to time its movement over a known distance. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the equations of motion if the initial speed and acceleration of the cart are known.

Does the speed of the cart increase or decrease after the fan is turned on?

The speed of the cart will increase after the fan is turned on if the force of the fan is greater than any other resistive forces acting on the cart. If the force of the fan is not enough to overcome the resistive forces, the speed of the cart will either remain steady or decrease.

How does the speed of the cart at 3.5 s after the fan is on compare to the speed at 2.5 s?

The speed of the cart at 3.5 seconds after the fan is turned on can be higher or lower than the speed at 2.5 seconds, depending on the initial speed and acceleration of the cart. Without knowing these variables, it is not possible to determine how the speeds will compare.