What is the Starting Time for Modeling Tide Motion Using a Sine Function?

• Thread starter laura11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the tide in a local coastal community can be modeled using a sine function with a period of 12 hours and an amplitude of 2. To shift the function up to an average height of 3 meters, the vertical shift would be 3. The phase shift can be determined by choosing a time for x=0, which would correspond to the time when the tide is at its average height of 3 meters. The final equation for the tide motion would be y=2sin(pi/6x) +3.
laura11
The tide in a local costal community can be modeled using a sine function. Starting at noon, the tide is at its "average" height of 3 metres measured on a pole located off of the shore. 5 hours later is high tide with the tide at a height of 5 metres measured at the same pole. 15 hours after noon is low tide with the tide at a height of 1 metre measured at the same pole. Use this information to model the tide motion using a sine function. Show all work.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? Do you know what a general sinusoidal function is going to look like in equation form?

i know the period is 12 hours which will be pi/6 in the equation
im pretty sure the amplitude is 2
so i know its going to be something like y=2sin(pi/6x)
but thn i don't know the vertical shift or horizontal shift

the phase shift is what I am really having trouble with

It says the average height of the tide is 3 meters. [tex]2 \sin(\frac{\pi}{6}x)[/tex] has an average height of 0 (it oscillates between -2 and 2). How much do you have to shift it up to get an average height of 3?

For the phase shift, what time is x=0 going to correspond to?

would you shift it up 3?

is the answer y=2sin(pi/6x) +3?

yesss.. nooo?? haha

That could be right. The problem doesn't specify what time x=0 is at. So you get to pick. What time does x=0 represent?

1. What is the purpose of advanced functions?

The purpose of advanced functions is to provide a more efficient and organized way to perform complex calculations and manipulate data. They allow for the creation of reusable code, making it easier to maintain and update. Advanced functions also offer more flexibility and customization options compared to basic functions.

2. How do advanced functions differ from basic functions?

Advanced functions have additional features such as parameters and local variables, which allow for more control over the input and output of the function. They also have a more structured syntax, with the use of the "function" keyword and curly braces. Basic functions, on the other hand, only have a single statement and do not allow for parameters or local variables.

3. Can advanced functions be used in any programming language?

Yes, advanced functions can be used in any programming language that supports functions. However, the syntax and specific features may differ slightly depending on the language.

4. How do I create an advanced function?

To create an advanced function, you will need to use the "function" keyword followed by the name of the function and a set of parentheses. Inside the parentheses, you can specify any parameters that the function will take in. Then, use curly braces to enclose the code that will be executed when the function is called. Finally, use the "return" keyword to specify the output of the function.

5. How can advanced functions improve the efficiency of my code?

Advanced functions can improve the efficiency of your code by reducing the amount of repetitive code that needs to be written. They also allow for easier debugging and maintenance, as any updates or changes can be made in one central location. Additionally, the use of parameters and local variables can help to streamline the input and output of the function, making it more versatile and flexible.