What is the strength of the gravitational field?

In summary, to find the strength of the gravitational field on the ground just above the oil deposit, we must consider the missing mass as a sphere with a negative mass. Using the given information, we can calculate the negative mass needed to reduce the density of the Earth to 900kg/m^3 and then use that to find the gravitational field created by this negative mass. This will give us the strength of the gravitational field on the ground just above the oil deposit.
Workout

Homework Statement

What is the strength of the gravitational field on the ground just above the oil deposit? Hint: Consider the missing mass as a sphere with a negative mass.

Given: a spherical oil deposit with radius 200m at a centre of depth 2.0km. The density of the Earth's crust is 2700 kg/m^3 and the crude oil is 900 kg/m^2. The strength of the gravitational field in the surrounding area is 9.81 N/kg.

Homework Equations

a = GM/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay I'm a little confused with this question. Isn't the strength of the gravitational field on the ground just above the oil deposit 9.81 m/s^2? It already said in the problem that the gravitational field in the surrounding area was 9.81 N/kg in my problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Workout said:

Homework Statement

What is the strength of the gravitational field on the ground just above the oil deposit? Hint: Consider the missing mass as a sphere with a negative mass.

Given: a spherical oil deposit with radius 200m at a centre of depth 2.0km. The density of the Earth's crust is 2700 kg/m^3 and the crude oil is 900 kg/m^2. The strength of the gravitational field in the surrounding area is 9.81 N/kg.

Homework Equations

a = GM/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay I'm a little confused with this question. Isn't the strength of the gravitational field on the ground just above the oil deposit 9.81 m/s^2? It already said in the problem that the gravitational field in the surrounding area was 9.81 N/kg in my problem.

They mean that it's 9.81m/s^2 at a large distance from the oil deposit. It will be a little less over the oil deposit. You should take it to mean that it would be 9.81m/s^2 if the oil deposit weren't there.

Ok. How do I start this problem?

Workout said:
Ok. How do I start this problem?

Follow the hint they gave you. You know the initial g value at the surface due to the solid sphere (without the oil). Add the negative g value you would get from a sphere of negative mass at the position of the oil deposit. Make the negative mass of the sphere enough to reduce the density as much as the oil reduces the density of the earth.

So g = G(-m)/r^2

where G = 6.67x10^-11
r = 2000m
So I get m = -5.997x10^16 x g

So then I equate what you were saying about reducing the density as much as the oil reduces the density of the earth.

-5.997x10^16 x g / 900 kg/m^3 = 2700kg/m^3

And I solve for g and I get -4.05x10^-11 m/s^2.

Last edited:
Workout said:
So g = G(-m)/r^2

where G = 6.67x10^-11
r = 2000m
So I get m = -5.997x10^16 x g

So then I equate what you were saying about reducing the density as much as the oil reduces the density of the earth.

-5.997x10^16 x g / 900 kg/m^3 = 2700kg/m^3

And I solve for g and I get -4.05x10^-11 m/s^2.

That's not the way to 'reduce the density'. If the Earth has a density of 2700kg/m^3 and you want to reduce it to 900kg/m^3 you need a sphere of density -1800kg/m^3 sitting where the oil is. Compute the g created by that.

1. What is the gravitational field?

The gravitational field is a physical space around an object that is affected by its mass. It is responsible for the force of gravity, which pulls objects towards each other.

2. How do you measure the strength of the gravitational field?

The strength of the gravitational field is measured using a unit called Newtons per kilogram (N/kg). This unit represents the force that a mass of 1 kilogram experiences in the gravitational field of another object.

3. What factors affect the strength of the gravitational field?

The strength of the gravitational field is affected by the mass of the object creating the field and the distance between that object and another object. The greater the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the gravitational field will be.

4. How does the strength of the gravitational field change with distance?

As distance from the source of the gravitational field increases, the strength of the field decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse-square law, which states that the strength of the gravitational field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

5. Can the strength of the gravitational field be negative?

No, the strength of the gravitational field is always a positive value. This is because gravity is always an attractive force between objects, and cannot be repulsive.