What is the student's final speed after being launched by a compressed spring?

In summary, a spring with a constant of 72500.0 N/m is compressed 54.6 cm to launch a 109.0 kg physics student. The student then travels down a 13.4 m high track, which is frictionless until the student reaches the incline. The student's coefficient of kinetic friction on the 28.5° incline is 0.129. Using equations for kinetic energy and potential energy, the student's speed just after leaving the spring can be found by equating the two energies and solving for velocity. The coefficient of friction is not needed in this calculation since the incline is frictionless.
brunettegurl

Homework Statement

A spring with constant 72500.0 N/m is compressed 54.6 cm and used to launch a 109.0 kg physics student. The student starts decending down a 13.4 m high track that is frictionless until the student starts up the incline again. The student's coefficient of kinetic friction on the 28.5° incline is 0.129. What is the student's speed just after losing contact with the spring?

Homework Equations

e=0.5mv2
eg=mgh
spring = 0.5kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

alright for this question i equated the mgh+0.5mv2 = 0.5kx2
and solved for v ... is this the wrong thinking for this question pls. help

Attachments

• kn-pic1154.png
    kn-pic1154.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a V shaped track? It goes down and then up again?

As to your approach, can you think of why they gave you the coefficient of friction?

its more of a u-shaped curve...and the coefficient of friction is given for the incline which isn't frictionless..but theyre asking for speed right as it leaves the spring so i didnt think the coefficient mattered

brunettegurl said:
its more of a u-shaped curve...and the coefficient of friction is given for the incline which isn't frictionless..but theyre asking for speed right as it leaves the spring so i didnt think the coefficient mattered

The down half is frictionless right? So there is no need to account for it there. But there is on the other side.

Like the last problem I just posted about (the truck speed ramp), the KE budget can be given by

KE_bottom = PE_g_up + W_frict_up

But it is also at that point derived from

PE_spring + PE_gravity_down_the_ramp = KE_bottom

if we use this equation KE_bottom = PE_g_up + W_frict_up to solve for the speed we don't know the height that the boy is traveling up...and also maybe a stupid question but why would we need the the other side of the hill if the speed is too be found as soon as the student leaves the spring

brunettegurl said:
if we use this equation KE_bottom = PE_g_up + W_frict_up to solve for the speed we don't know the height that the boy is traveling up...and also maybe a stupid question but why would we need the the other side of the hill if the speed is too be found as soon as the student leaves the spring

One word: Friction.

Friction makes the trip non-conservative.

If it was all frictionless, then all you would need to know is what his downward speed was at the moment of leaving the spring. The height from the bottom wouldn't matter.

Edit: Apparently they only want the speed off the spring after compression .56m. In what I suppose must just be the first part of a several part question. In which case for that won't that just be 1/2*mv2 = 1/2*k*x2 + m*g*sin28.5*.56m ?

Last edited:
i have a quick question.. i did this question a different way using only 0.5*k*x^2=0.5m*v^2... i didnt use m*g*sin28.5*.56m but i still got the right answer and i was wondering how was that possible??i got 14.1 from my way and 14.3 from the way you did not a big difference but still puzzling to me

brunettegurl said:
i have a quick question.. i did this question a different way using only 0.5*k*x^2=0.5m*v^2... i didnt use m*g*sin28.5*.56m but i still got the right answer and i was wondering how was that possible??i got 14.1 from my way and 14.3 from the way you did not a big difference but still puzzling to me

Now that I see the image, now that it's approved, there was the assumption on my part at the time that the spring was pointing down hill. The additional term would take care of the additional assist from gravity over the launching of the boy. Since he was launched horizontally, then that term is not needed.

Related to What is the student's final speed after being launched by a compressed spring?

What is the relationship between speed and spring on a track?

The speed of an object on a track is directly related to the spring of the track. As the springiness of the track increases, the speed of the object will also increase.

How does the spring of a track affect the performance of the athletes?

The spring of a track can greatly impact the performance of athletes. A track with a higher spring will provide more bounce and energy return, allowing athletes to run faster and jump higher.

What factors influence the spring of a track?

The spring of a track is influenced by multiple factors, including the materials used to construct the track, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the amount of wear and tear on the track.

How can the spring of a track be adjusted?

The spring of a track can be adjusted by altering the materials used in its construction, changing the temperature and humidity of the environment, or by adding or removing layers of cushioning material.

Does the spring of a track affect the risk of injury for athletes?

A track with a higher spring may reduce the risk of injury for athletes, as it can provide more shock absorption and cushioning. However, the specific design and maintenance of the track also play a significant role in injury prevention.