What is the surface charge density on the face of the penny?

In summary, the surface charge density on one face of a copper penny can be found using the equation η = ε0Eplane, where Eplane is the electric field strength just above the face of the penny. This assumes that the penny can be modeled as an infinite plane of charge, and the total electric flux through a standard Gaussian pillbox is equal to 2EplaneA.
Mason Smith

Homework Statement

The electric field strength just above one face of a copper penny is 2230 N/C. What is the surface charge density on this face of the penny?

Homework Equations

Electric field of an infinite plane of charge = η/(2*ε0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation, and the result was 3.95 x 10-8C/m2. However, this is not the correct answer. Where am I going wrong in my thinking? This homework problem comes from the textbook chapter about Gauss's Law, yet I do not see how Gauss's Law can tie into this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
To anyone who needs help with this problem, I believe that I have found a solution.
The equation for surface charge density is η = Q/A. Since the electric field is just above the face of the penny, the penny can be modeled as an infinite plane of charge Eplane = η/(2ε0). Combining these equations will result in Eplane = Q/(A⋅2⋅ε0). Rearranging this equation to find the surface charge density will be (Q/A) = (Eplane⋅2⋅ε0). However, this will be the surface charge density for both sides of the penny. In order to find the surface charge density of only one side of the penny, divide Eplane⋅2⋅ε0 by 2.

You didvide by 2 too many times. If η is the surface charge density on one side, and you construct the standard Gaussian pillbox sticking out both sides of the penny, then the total electric flux through the pillbox is ΦE = 2EpaneA. The total charge enclosed is Qencl. = 2ηA (ηA per side).
By Gauss's law, 2EplaneA = 2ηA/ε0 which gives η = ε0Eplane.

Related to What is the surface charge density on the face of the penny?

1. What is surface charge density?

Surface charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge present on a surface per unit area. It is typically denoted by the symbol σ and has units of coulombs per square meter (C/m²).

2. How is surface charge density calculated?

Surface charge density can be calculated by dividing the total charge on a surface by the area of that surface. It can also be calculated by taking the electric flux through a surface and dividing it by the permittivity of the medium.

3. Why is the surface charge density on a penny important?

The surface charge density on a penny is important because it affects the interactions between the penny and other objects, such as when it is rubbed against another material to create static electricity. It can also impact the penny's conductivity and its ability to hold a charge.

4. How does the surface charge density on a penny change?

The surface charge density on a penny can change when it is exposed to different materials or environments. For example, rubbing the penny against a different material can transfer charge and change its surface charge density. It can also change due to changes in temperature or humidity.

5. How can the surface charge density on a penny be measured?

The surface charge density on a penny can be measured using a device called an electroscope, which can detect the presence and magnitude of static electricity. It can also be measured indirectly by measuring the electric potential around the penny and using the relationship between potential and charge density.