What is the tension in the coupling

In summary, the tension in the coupling between the third and fourth cars of an intercity express locomotive with 14 cars, each weighing 53,000 kg, is found by using the equation F=ma and considering the entire system. To solve for T3, the force F is calculated by multiplying the total mass of the three cars by the acceleration of the train. Then, the tension can be found using the equation T=F. Additionally, to calculate the minimum time required to hoist a 1.00-kg rock 10.0m using a string with a breaking strength of 10.8 N, the equation a=2(x-xo)/t^2 can be used. If the string is replaced with
8parks11
An inter city Express locomotive pulls 14 cars, each with a mass of 53,000 kg. What is the tension in the coupling between the thrid and fourth cars when the acceleration of the train is 0.26m/s.

ok so I am looking for T.
F=ma
53000(0.26) = T?
i don't think this is correct because they mentioned 3,4 cars
or was that just random?

I don't know at all.

Added:
a) What is the minimum time in which one can hoist a 1.00-kg rock height of 10.0m if the string used to pull the rock up has a breaking strength of 10.8 N? Assume the rock to be initially at rest.
b) If the string is replaced by one that is 50% stronger, by what percentage will the minimum time for the hoist be reduced.

alright a) i just used a= 2(x-xo)/t^2 and then i got 2(10)/t^2 = 10.8/1
so i got 10.8=20/t^2 and so t would be root 10.8 but the answer is 4.5s... why??

b) i need to get a) to solve this...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you have an idea about the whole system?

Your whole system is 14 cars, being pulled by a train with an acceleration of 0.26 m/s^2. Think about the problem of the 3 blocks (between each block there's a string) being pulled by a force F.

so there is T1 T2 and T3 and i have to find T3.
isnt T3
F=ma
F= (m1+m2+m3).26
so it would be 3(53000)(0.26) = T?

Related to What is the tension in the coupling

What is the tension in the coupling?

The tension in a coupling refers to the amount of force or stress that is present in the coupling. It is a measure of the resistance to stretching or pulling apart.

Why is the tension in the coupling important?

The tension in the coupling is important because it can affect the overall performance and stability of a system. If the tension is too low, the coupling may not be able to withstand the necessary forces and could fail. If the tension is too high, it could cause damage or premature wear on the coupling or other components.

How is the tension in the coupling measured?

The tension in a coupling can be measured using various methods such as strain gauges, load cells, or tension meters. The specific method used will depend on the type and size of the coupling.

What factors can affect the tension in the coupling?

The tension in a coupling can be affected by several factors including the type of material used, the design and size of the coupling, the amount of force being applied, and the temperature and environment in which the coupling is operating.

How can the tension in the coupling be adjusted?

The tension in a coupling can be adjusted by changing the amount of force being applied, altering the design or size of the coupling, or using a different type of material. It is important to carefully consider all factors and consult with an expert before making any adjustments to the tension in a coupling.