What is the total energy of a system of two isothermal spheres?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total energy of a system consisting of two identical isothermal spheres at rest a distance apart. The formula for the total energy for each sphere is mentioned, along with the potential energy between the two spheres. The concept of the virial theorem is brought up and the correction of a mistake is made in the calculation of the total energy. The conversation ends with a private message related to the astrophysics class.
leonne

Homework Statement

Suppose you start with two identical finite isothermal spheres, each with initial
mass Mi and initial circular velocity vi, that are at rest a distance d apart. What
is the total energy of this system? Hint: Consider the total energy for each one
in isolation from part (a), and then the potential energy between the two.

Homework Equations

E=v^2M/2

The Attempt at a Solution

So the total energy for each would be E=v^2M/2 ( from what i got from A) and then the potential to be u=-GM2/R
So would the total energy of the two equal GM2/2R From using the virial theorem E=-(k)=U/2

Physics news on Phys.org
how did you get Etotal to be GM^2/2R?

well the virial theorem says e=-k=u/2 so well i made a mistake should be negative, total energy e=1/2 U= -Gm^2/2R
btw are you in the astrophysics class? If you asking about this problem and same with my other problem

but i am not sure if its right if u think of something else let me know

yes i am in the astrophysics class, i sent you a private message

Related to What is the total energy of a system of two isothermal spheres?

What is the total energy of a system?

The total energy of a system is the sum of all the potential and kinetic energies present in the system. It includes all the forms of energy such as thermal, mechanical, chemical, electrical, and nuclear energies.

How is the total energy of a system calculated?

The total energy of a system can be calculated using the formula: E = U + K, where E is the total energy, U is the potential energy, and K is the kinetic energy. The potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or state, while the kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

What factors can affect the total energy of a system?

The total energy of a system can be affected by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects within the system, the position and orientation of the objects, external forces, and the presence of potential or kinetic energy sources.

What is the law of conservation of energy and how does it relate to the total energy of a system?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system will remain constant over time, even if it is converted between different forms.

Why is it important to consider the total energy of a system in scientific studies?

The total energy of a system is important to consider in scientific studies because it helps to understand the behavior and interactions of the objects within the system. It can also help in predicting the outcomes of various processes and evaluating the efficiency of a system.