What is the true definition of countable sets?

In summary, the definition of a countable set can vary among different sources, but the general consensus is that a set S is countable if there exists an injection from S to the natural numbers. If S is also infinite and there exists a bijection between S and N, then S is considered countably infinite. If no such bijection exists, then S is uncountable.
CAF123
Gold Member
I seem to have a couple of contradictory statements of what a countable set is defined to be:
In my textbook I have:
'Let E be a set. E is said to be countable if and only if there exists a 1-1 function which takes ##\mathbb{N}## onto E.'

This implies to me that that there has to exist a beijection from ##\mathbb{N}## to E since they use 1-1 and onto in the defintion.

In my notes I have: E is said to be countable if there is a bijection ##f: \mathbb{N} \mapsto E##'

However, when I looked on Wikipedia, I read:
A set S is called countable if there exists an injective function f from S to the natural numbers N.

Is there a contradiction here and if so, what is the true defintion?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The true definition is: a set [itex]S[/itex] is countable if there exists an injection [itex]f:S\rightarrow \mathbb{N}[/itex]. Note it does NOT have to be a surjection as well, in general. IF [itex]f[/itex] also happens to be surjective then we say [itex]S[/itex] is countably infinite.

That was a quick reply. What exactly does countably infinite mean?
If I understand correctly, then if a set is finite it is automatically countable. So an infinite set is countable provided there exists a bijection from N to E?

A set [itex]S[/itex] is countably infinite if there exists a bijection [itex]f:S\rightarrow \mathbb{N}[/itex]. If [itex]S[/itex] is not countable (i.e. neither countably infinite nor countably finite) then we say [itex]S[/itex] is uncountable. So, for example, [itex]\mathbb{Z},\mathbb{Q}[/itex] are countably infinite but [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is uncountable (the proof of this is one of the most beautiful proofs in mathematics and was shown by Cantor using the extremely elegant diagonal argument).

WannabeNewton said:
A set [itex]S[/itex] is countably infinite if there exists a bijection [itex]f:S\rightarrow \mathbb{N}[/itex]. If [itex]S[/itex] is not countable (i.e. neither countably infinite nor countably finite) then we say [itex]S[/itex] is uncountable. So, for example, [itex]\mathbb{Z},\mathbb{Q}[/itex] are countably infinite but [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is uncountable (the proof of this is one of the most beautiful proofs in mathematics and was shown by Cantor using the extremely elegant diagonal argument).
I have in my notes that '...bijection from N to S'. But you have bijection from S to N. I suppose it won't matter here. But for an injection N to S, is an injection S to N the same thing. (it seems so, but I just want to clarify).

No it doesn't mean the same thing. There exists an injection [itex]f:\left \{ 1,2 \right \}\rightarrow \mathbb{N}[/itex] (it is just the inclusion map). Does that imply there exists an injection [itex]f:\mathbb{N}\rightarrow \left \{ 1,2 \right \}[/itex]? It doesn't of course!

Just to add that the Cantor-Schroder-Bernstein says that if there are injections between N and S and between S and N , then there is a bijection between N and S .

A fun and short exercise is to show, using the well ordering theorem, that there exists an uncountable well - ordered set [itex]Y[/itex] such that [itex]\forall x\in Y[/itex], there exist only countably many [itex]y\in Y[/itex] such that [itex]y < x[/itex]. It's a pretty awesome result considering we are talking about an uncountable, totally ordered set!

Different authors tend to use different terminology. Some authors use countable to denote that there is a bijection to the natural numbers. In their terminology, finite sets are not countable. Other authors (the majority, I guess), allow finite sets to be countable.

For sets that are finite and said to be countable does that mean there always exists an injection from S to N?

In your example, an injection could be ##1 \mapsto 1## and ##2\mapsto 2##?

Or if we take a set {1} then the injection could be ##1 \mapsto a##, ##a \in \mathbb{N}##.

Yes to all your questions.

Related to What is the true definition of countable sets?

What is a countable set?

A countable set is a set that has a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). This means that each element in the set can be assigned a unique natural number, and there are no elements left out.

What is the difference between countable and uncountable sets?

Countable sets have a finite or infinite number of elements that can be counted, while uncountable sets have an infinite number of elements that cannot be counted. Countable sets have a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers, while uncountable sets do not.

What is the condition for countability?

The condition for countability, also known as the Cantor-Schröder-Bernstein theorem, states that if there is an injection (one-to-one function) from set A to set B, and an injection from set B to set A, then there exists a bijection (one-to-one and onto function) between set A and set B. This means that two sets are considered to be of the same size or cardinality if there exists a one-to-one correspondence between them.

Can an infinite set be countable?

Yes, an infinite set can be countable if it has a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. This means that despite having an infinite number of elements, each element can still be assigned a unique natural number, making it countable.

What is an example of a countable set?

An example of a countable set is the set of even numbers (2, 4, 6, ...), as each element can be assigned a unique natural number (1, 2, 3, ...). Another example is the set of all positive integers (1, 2, 3, ...), which has the same cardinality as the set of natural numbers.