What is the unit vector perpendicular to (2,1,-3) and (-1, 7, 4)?

In summary: You are trying to find a value for z such that the sum of the square of the terms equals one. This is equivalent to solving for z such that the inner product of the vector with itself is 1. In summary, In two methods to determine a unit vector perpendicular to both (2,1,-3) and (-1, 7, 4), using cross product and dot product, the vector is (5, -1, 3) and (1, -2, 0).
ND3G
Use two methods to determine a unit vector perpendicular to both (2,1,-3) and (-1, 7, 4)

Using Cross Product:
Let v be a perpendicular vector to the given vectors

v = a*b
= (2,1,-3)(-1,7,4)
=((1)(4)-(7)(-3), (-3)(-1)-(4)(2), (2)(7)-(-1)(1))
=(4+21, 3-8, 14+1)
=(25, -5, 15)
= (5, -1, 3)
= |(5,-1, 3)|
= sqr(25+1+9
=sqr(35)

Let u be a unit vector in the direction of (5, -1, 3)
u = v/|v| = 1/sqr(35)(5, -1, 3) = (5/sqr(35), -1/sqr(35), 3/sqr(35))

Using dot product:
Let p = (x, y, z) represent the vector that is perpendicular to the vectors.
a = (2, 1, -3) and b = (-1, 7, 4)
Then p*a = 0 and p*b = 0
(x, y, z)(2, 1, -3) = 0 and (x, y, z)(-1, 7, 4) = 0

2x + y - 3z = 0
-x + 7y + 4Z = 0

Isolate x in equation (1) to get x = -y/2 + 3z/2
Substitute this into equation (2)

-(-y/2 + 3z/2) + 7y +4z = 0
y/2 - 3z/2 +7y +4z = 0

z = 0 --> substitute into equation (1) gives 2x + y = 0 and so x = -y/2

If you let x = 1, then y = -2

Therefore p = (x, y, z) = (1, -2, 0), which gives a different vector from the one found using cross product.

Determine the magnitude of this vector and then find a unit vector as required.

|(1, -2, 0)| = sqr(1+4) = sqr(5)

Let u be a unit vector in the direction of (1, -2, 0)

u = v/|v| = 1/sqr(5)(1, -2, 0) = (1/sqr(5), -2/sqr(5), 0)

The two answers should match up but they don't and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have been over it a number of times but I just can not see where the error lies. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
ND3G said:
z = 0

What justifies this step?

You can substitute in any value for z, however 0 would be the only value that would isolate x and y. At least that is how I understand it from the sample equations.

ND3G said:
2x + y - 3z = 0
-x + 7y + 4Z = 0

You had it correct to this point. These are two equations in three unknowns. One solution is the trivial solution, x=y=z=0. There are an infinite number of other solutions because two equations in three unknowns do not yield a unique solution.

You cannot arbitrarily set one of the variables (say z) to zero because then you will find that the other two variables (x and y) must also be zero. This is the trivial solution, and it is the one solution you do not want.

What you can do is to express any two of the variables in terms of the third. For example, find a way to express x and y in terms of z. There is an implied third equation: The desired vector is a unit vector. You can use this to come up with a value for z and hence for x and y. Note: the sign of the value for z will be arbitrary, as the unit vector equation will result in something like [itex]z^2 = a[/itex]. You will get identical results if you choose x or y as the basis variable instead of z.

I'm sorry but I have been staring at this question for close to three hours now and I still no closer to resolving it as when I started.

How exactly is the fact that the vector is a unit vector going to help me determine a value for z?

Basically, it means try to solve it again, only this time without z=0. You'll get a vector that looks something like

(z+2, 3z, z) (I didn't actually work it out, but it should have one independent parameter).

You then have to normalize this by finding a value of z such that the sum of the square of the terms equals one

You started with a general form for the normal vector [itex]\vec n = (x,y,z)[/itex] and then developed two equations for [itex]x,y,z[/itex]. From those two equations, you should be able to reduce those equations to something of the form [itex]x=a*z, y=b*z[/itex] where [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are constants. With this, the normal vector becomes [itex]\vec n = (a*z, b*z, z)[/itex].

You want this to be a unit vector. What is the inner product of a unit vector with itself? What is the inner product of [itex]\vec n[/itex] with itself?

This is not a three-hour problem. You had it right up to this point:

ND3G said:
2x + y - 3z = 0
-x + 7y + 4Z = 0

Isolate x in equation (1) to get x = -y/2 + 3z/2
Substitute this into equation (2)

-(-y/2 + 3z/2) + 7y +4z = 0
y/2 - 3z/2 +7y +4z = 0

Here is where you went wrong:

z = 0

What you should have done was to work with this equation:
y/2 - 3z/2 +7y +4z = 0
combining terms,
15/2 y + 5/2 z = 0
or
y = -z/3
With this it should be obvious that choosing z=0 forces y (and hence x) to be zero as well. So choosing z=0 was exactly the wrong thing to do.

Can you finish with y=-z/3 (alternatively, z=-3y) and your equation for x in terms of y and z?

Ok, I think I have the idea. z = -3y
x = -y/2 + 3(-3y)/2 = -10y/2 = -5y
Therefore, (-5y, y, -3y)

Excellent. Now finish it. You want a unit vector.

ND3G said:
Ok, I think I have the idea. z = -3y
x = -y/2 + 3(-3y)/2 = -10y/2 = -5y
Therefore, (-5y, y, -3y)

Yes. And after normalizing to a unit vector, the "y" drops out completely.

Notice that what you get is exactly minus th evector you got from the other method so it's not the same vector! But that's ok because there are actually *two* unit vectors perpendicular to [itex] \vec{a} [/itex] and [itex] \vec{b} [/itex]. You found one by the first technique and you found the other one by the second technique

Thanks for all the hand holding guys. I am doing this course by correspondence and sometimes the text is less than ideal.

Related to What is the unit vector perpendicular to (2,1,-3) and (-1, 7, 4)?

1. What is the difference between the cross product and dot product?

The cross product is a type of vector multiplication that results in a vector, while the dot product is a type of scalar multiplication that results in a scalar value. This means that the cross product involves both magnitude and direction, while the dot product only involves magnitude.

2. How are the cross product and dot product used in real life?

The cross product is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate torque, magnetic fields, and angular momentum. The dot product is used in physics and engineering to calculate work, power, and projections of forces.

3. What are the geometric interpretations of the cross product and dot product?

The cross product has a geometric interpretation as the area of the parallelogram formed by two vectors, while the dot product has a geometric interpretation as the projection of one vector onto another. In other words, the cross product measures the amount of rotation between two vectors, while the dot product measures the amount of overlap between two vectors.

4. Can the cross product and dot product be applied to vectors in higher dimensions?

Yes, the cross product and dot product can be applied to vectors in three or more dimensions. However, the cross product is only defined for three-dimensional vectors, while the dot product can be defined for any number of dimensions.

5. What are some properties of the cross product and dot product?

The cross product is anti-commutative, meaning that the order of the vectors matters, and it also follows the right-hand rule. The dot product is commutative, meaning that the order of the vectors does not matter, and it also has the property that the dot product of perpendicular vectors is zero.