What is the valance and conduction band?

In summary, Justin did not have a clear understanding of what the bands were and he was trying to find out more information from other sources.
Levi Tate
Hello,

I am writing a technical essay on solar cells and I am having trouble finding out exactly what the valance and conduction band actually are. It's a bit elusive, the textbooks I am using simply state the two bands without explaining what they are.

If anybody could provide any references or explain this it would help me a great deal.

Thank you,
justin

Physics news on Phys.org
Valence band and conduction bands are purely theoretical. It is how the working of semiconductors are explained. It is a part of "Energy band theory".
Instead of considering quantized energy levels(orbitals/shells), in this theory electrons of atoms in a crystal are distributed in terms of "energy bands". They say first band has n1 electrons, 2nd band has n2 electrons... and similarly the valence band and conduction band. "Valence band" can be considered as the all electrons of the valence shells of all the atoms in a crystal. Conduction band is the band of electrons which have acquired sufficient energy and left the atom (now free to move and can act as charge carriers)...

In textbooks, they simply state the two bands. I have given you a vague idea of what they are. If you want to understand better, you can search for "energy band theory" on google... But anyway, remember all these explanations are completely theoretical... You can predict what happens using a certain theory. If your prediction comes true, the theory is valid. If i say "According to energy band theory, for a photosensitive material, the energy gap between Valence band and conduction band is 'x' J/gram or whatever, if u supply that much amount of energy and the photosensitive material starts conducting, Then you can say that the theory explains it well!

Alright thank you. I realized that I do not have enough background in solid state physics to do this paper correctly, so I am basically just reading various sources and then regurgitating what I read, and referencing it. My teacher said this is fine though. He does research on semiconductors and superconductors in his lab so i will probably seem really dumb.

1. What is the valence band?

The valence band is the highest energy level in an atom or molecule that is occupied by electrons. These electrons are held tightly by the nucleus and are involved in chemical bonding.

2. What is the conduction band?

The conduction band is the energy level in an atom or molecule that is not occupied by electrons. Electrons in this band have enough energy to move freely and participate in electrical conduction.

3. How are the valence and conduction bands related?

The valence and conduction bands are separated by a band gap, which is the energy difference between the two bands. Electrons in the valence band can gain enough energy to move into the conduction band, creating an electrical current.

4. What determines the position of the valence and conduction bands?

The position of the valence and conduction bands is determined by the arrangement of atoms and their electron configurations in a material. Different materials have different band gaps and therefore different positions of the valence and conduction bands.

5. Why is understanding the valence and conduction bands important?

Understanding the valence and conduction bands is important in many fields, including materials science, electronics, and chemistry. It helps us understand the properties and behavior of materials, and how they can be used in various applications such as in electronic devices and renewable energy sources.