What is the value of I3 for the given line integral and values of I2 and B?

In summary, the value of the line integral around the closed path in the figure is 1.79×10−5 Tm, with the given currents I2 = 12 A and I3 = 26.2 A going into the page. The direction of the field lines produced by the currents inside the closed path affects the results and must be taken into account when using Ampere's Law.
PolarBee

Homework Statement

The value of the line integral around the closed path in the figure is 1.79×10−5 Tm .
https://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1385538/4/32-22.jpg
32-22.jpg
There is I2 and I3 inside the closed loop.
I2 = 12 A
What is I3?

Homework Equations

Amphere's Law: B = Uo I(enclosed)

The Attempt at a Solution

I rewrote the equation as B = Uo * (I2 + I3)
Solving for I3...
I3 = (B / Uo) - I2
Plugging in values,
1.79*10^-5 / (4*pi*10^-7) - 12 = 2.2 A
But this is not the right answer? I don't understand what is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Investigate how the direction taken around the closed path for the line integral affects the results; Check the definition of Ampere's Law.

Using the right hand rule to check the direction of positive I, positive I points into the page, so the 12A is negative and, so I should add 12 instead of subtracting?

PolarBee said:
Using the right hand rule to check the direction of positive I, positive I points into the page, so the 12A is negative and, so I should add 12 instead of subtracting?
What you want to do is check the direction of the field lines produced by any currents inside the line integral's closed path. If they have the same sense (direction) as the Ampere Loop then they make a positive contribution to the sum. If they have the opposite sense then they make a negative contribution.

You have one given current, ##I_2##, and it comes out of the page. Do its magnetic field lines have the same sense as the loop direction?

Okay I see, so I2's field lines are opposite of the loop direction, so they make a negative contribution to the sum.

So it should be B = Uo (-I2 + I3)
Making I3 = (B/Uo) + I2

And I3 would be 26.2 A, and since it is positive it would be going into the page, correct?

Looks good!

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a mathematical formula that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop. It states that the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current and the length of the loop, and inversely proportional to the distance from the loop to the current.

2. How is Ampere's Law used in science?

Ampere's Law is used in many scientific fields, including electromagnetism, electrical engineering, and physics. It is used to calculate the strength of the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire or a solenoid, and it is also used to design and analyze electromagnets and other electrical devices.

3. What is the magnitude of I in Ampere's Law?

The magnitude of I in Ampere's Law refers to the electric current passing through the closed loop. It is measured in amperes (A) and represents the rate at which electric charges are flowing through the loop. The larger the current, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

4. How does the magnitude of I affect the magnetic field?

The magnitude of I has a direct effect on the strength of the magnetic field according to Ampere's Law. The larger the current, the stronger the magnetic field will be. Therefore, increasing the current will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing the current will result in a weaker magnetic field.

5. What are some real-life applications of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law has many real-life applications, such as in motors and generators, which use the relationship between electric current and magnetic fields to produce motion. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, particle accelerators, and in the study of Earth's magnetic field.