What is the velocity of each plane after three hours?

In summary, the problem involves two airplanes leaving Dallas at the same time and traveling in opposite directions. One plane is flying 80mph faster than the other. After three hours, they are 2940 miles apart. To solve for the velocity of each plane, you can use the equation velocity * time = distance. To make it easier, you can pretend there is one plane traveling at the combined speed of both planes, and solve for that velocity. Then, you can use that velocity to find the speed of the slower plane by setting the combined velocity equal to the slower plane's velocity plus 80mph. Alternatively, you can use substitution in the original equation to solve for the slower plane's velocity and then add 80mph to find
thovia

Homework Statement

Two airplanes leave Dallas at the same time and fly in opposite directions. one plane flies 80mph faster than the other. After three hours, they are 2940 miles apart. What is the velocity of each plane?

Homework Equations

I don't know what equation to use!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

you should use velocity * time = distance

To lessen your confusion on how to use this equation, just pretend you have one plane going as fast as both planes together that travels a total of 2940 miles in three hours.

xcvxcvvc said:
you should use velocity * time = distance

To lessen your confusion on how to use this equation, just pretend you have one plane going as fast as both planes together that travels a total of 2940 miles in three hours.

Thank you soooooooooo much! I never learned how to solve this kind of problem and I'm afraid my physics teacher will eat me if I ask.

thovia said:
Thank you soooooooooo much! I never learned how to solve this kind of problem and I'm afraid my physics teacher will eat me if I ask.

No problem. Just make sure if you use v(total) * t = d and solve for v(total) that you then set v(total) [the thing we just solved for] equal to x + (x + 80) where x would represent the slower plane's speed. Alternatively, you could use that substitution in the first equation like so: (x + (x + 80)) * t = d ---> (2x + 80) * t = d. When you solve for x, you again get the speed of the slower plane. Adding 80, of course, then gives you the faster plane's speed.

I didn't want to spell it out like this before, because it's against the rules to supply solutions. People are just supposed to guide users.

What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. In other words, it is the speed and direction at which an object is moving.

How is the velocity of an airplane calculated?

The velocity of an airplane is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as the average velocity. In order to calculate instantaneous velocity, the airplane's position and time must be measured at a specific moment.

What factors affect the velocity of an airplane?

The velocity of an airplane can be affected by several factors, including the engine power, air resistance, weight of the airplane, and wind speed and direction. Changes in any of these factors can impact the velocity of the airplane.

What is the typical velocity of commercial airplanes?

The typical cruising velocity of commercial airplanes is around 550 miles per hour (880 kilometers per hour). However, the actual velocity can vary depending on factors such as weather conditions, air traffic, and flight route.

Why is the velocity of an airplane important?

The velocity of an airplane is important for several reasons. It affects the time it takes for the airplane to reach its destination, the amount of fuel consumed, and the safety of the flight. It also plays a crucial role in navigation and air traffic control.