What is the velocity of the bullet at impact with the wooden block?

In summary, the problem involves a 10.0g bullet fired horizontally into a 106 g wooden block on a frictionless surface connected to a spring with a constant of 155 N/m. The system compresses the spring by a maximum of 78.0 cm. Using the equations for momentum and energy conservation, the initial velocity of the bullet is found to be 137.317 m/s, which seems more reasonable compared to the textbook's answer of 237m/s. The final speed of the bullet is not zero, but the same as the block after the collision. The equilibrium condition of the spring must also be taken into account.
rabar789

Homework Statement

A 10.0g bullet is fired horizontally into a 106 g wooden block that is initially at rest on a frictionless horizontal surface and connected to a spring of constant 155 N/m. If the bullet-block system compresses the spring by a maximum of 78.0 cm, what was the velocity of the bullet at impact with the block?

Homework Equations

p=mv
where p is momentum, m is mass (kg), and v is velocity (m/s)

(1/2 m1 v1^2 + 1/2 m2 v2^2)initial = (1/2 m1 v1^2 + 1/2 m2 v2^2)final + 1/2kx^2
Where m is mass (kg), v is velocity (m/s), k is the spring constant (N/m), and x is the distance of compression (meters).

(1/2 m1 v1^2 + 1/2 m2 v2^2)initial = (1/2m3 v3^2)final + 1/2kx^2
Where m is mass (kg), v is velocity (m/s), k is the spring constant (N/m), x is the distance of compression (meters), m3 is the sum of the masses, and v3 is the combined, new velocity. Not even sure if this one makes sense, I kind of combined some equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

To sum up my attempt, I plugged all of my variables into my "combined" equation. Thus I had two variables, v1 and v3^2. I decided to make everything equal to v1 and plug that equation into the original "combined" equation. (I can't really copy that onto here because it had a gigantic square root symbol.) So then I solved for v3 and got a ridiculously low answer, 1.0217m/s. According to my textbook, which has the same problem with different variables, the answer is 237m/s.

Can someone help me out? Also, is this considered a perfectly inelastic collision?

Physics news on Phys.org
rabar789 said:
Also, is this considered a perfectly inelastic collision?
Yes, so energy is not conserved during the collision. But what else is?

After the collision, then you can use energy conservation.

Momentum is, also. My main problem is that I can't set up a good equation (or two, if need be) or get rid of the double unknowns.

Think of the situation as having two phases:
(1) The collision of bullet and block
(2) The compressing of the spring after the collision

Set up equations for each phase. Each phase uses a different conservation law. Hint: You might want to analyze phase 2 first and work backwards.

OK I tried this.

(1/2*m1*v1^2 + 1/2*m2*v2^2)final = ½*k*x^2
And solved for v2
I got 97.11 m/s, understanding that the final velocity of the bullet is 0 because it’s lodged into the block.
Then I plugged it into (1/2*m1*v1^2 + 1/2*m2*v2^2)initial = (1/2*m1*v1^2 + 1/2*m2*v2^2)final + ½*k*x^2
And solved for v1 initial.
I got 137.317 m/s. This seems much more reasonable. Am I close?

bro..u r missing the equilibrium condition of the spring...i.e. when the spring is in its natural state...think about it and then proceede..:p

also..never go on answers..they may be wrong ..

have self belief and proceed...if ur concepts are right..u may even deny the textbook's answer..

rabar789 said:
OK I tried this.

(1/2*m1*v1^2 + 1/2*m2*v2^2)final = ½*k*x^2
And solved for v2
The left side of this equation is incorrect. After the collision, the bullet and block move together with a single speed. Their KE = 1/2 (m1+m2)V^2. Find that speed.
I got 97.11 m/s, understanding that the final velocity of the bullet is 0 because it’s lodged into the block.
The final speed of the bullet (immediately after the collision) is not zero--it's the same speed as the block.

Related to What is the velocity of the bullet at impact with the wooden block?

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is linear momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total linear momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the initial momentum of a system before a collision or interaction is equal to the final momentum after the interaction.

3. What is the equation for linear momentum?

The equation for linear momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

4. Can linear momentum be negative?

Yes, linear momentum can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference frame.

5. How is linear momentum different from angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to an object's rotational motion. Linear momentum is calculated using velocity, while angular momentum is calculated using angular velocity.