What is the wavelength of light used in Young's double-slit experiment?

In summary, the student performing Young's experiment with a single-color source found a distance of 6.0 cm between the first and seventh nodal lines. The screen was located 3.0 m from the two slits, with a slit separation of 2.2 x 10^2 nanometers. When calculating the wavelength of the light, a solution was found online with a distance of 2.2 x 10^-4 meters instead of 2.2 x 10^-7 meters. This change in distance would place the wavelength in the visible region, which aligns with the description of the illuminating EM wave as light.
Hannahj1

Homework Statement

A student performing Young's experiment with a single-colour source finds the
distance between the first and the seventh nodal lines to be 6.0 cm. The screen
is located 3.0 m from the two slits. The slit separation is 2.2 x 10^2 nanometres. Calculate
the wavelength of the light.

Homework Equations

x/L = wavelength/ d

The Attempt at a Solution

I found a solution online and they made the distance 2.2 x 10^-4 metres instead of 2.2 x 10^-7 if you do the conversion. I think they multiplied by something but i don't know why they would need to.

Physics news on Phys.org
The slit separation of 2.2 x 10^2 nanometres does not make any sense.

Dr. Courtney said:
The slit separation of 2.2 x 10^2 nanometres does not make any sense.
Why not? If you are referring to the practical limitation, we already have technology to fabricate sub-micro structure with a very good precision.
Hannahj1 said:
I found a solution online and they made the distance 2.2 x 10^-4 metres instead of 2.2 x 10^-7 if you do the conversion. I think they multiplied by something but i don't know why they would need to.
What number did you get using the original value of slit separation? I believe the number you got won't qualify to being called "light". Changing the slit separation by three orders of magnitude will make the wavelength lies in the visible region, which is in conform with the calling of the illuminating EM wave as light.

Last edited:

Related to What is the wavelength of light used in Young's double-slit experiment?

1. What is wave interference in the context of a double slit experiment?

Wave interference refers to the phenomenon where two or more waves interact with each other, resulting in a change in the overall amplitude and/or frequency of the wave. In a double slit experiment, this interference occurs when waves from a single source pass through two small slits and overlap, creating a pattern of light and dark bands on a screen.

2. How does the distance between the two slits affect the interference pattern?

The distance between the two slits, also known as the slit separation, affects the interference pattern by changing the wavelength of the waves. When the slit separation is smaller, the wavelength of the waves becomes larger, resulting in a wider interference pattern. Conversely, a larger slit separation leads to a smaller wavelength and a narrower interference pattern.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference in a double slit experiment?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves overlap and their amplitudes add together, resulting in a larger amplitude and a bright band on the interference pattern. On the other hand, destructive interference takes place when the waves overlap in such a way that their amplitudes cancel out, creating a dark band on the interference pattern.

4. Can the double slit experiment be performed with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, the double slit experiment can be performed with other types of waves such as sound waves and water waves. In fact, the interference patterns created by these waves are similar to the ones produced by light waves, demonstrating the universal nature of wave interference.

5. How does the introduction of a barrier with one slit affect the interference pattern in a double slit experiment?

When a barrier with one slit is introduced in a double slit experiment, the interference pattern changes from a series of bright and dark bands to a single bright band. This is because the waves passing through the single slit can no longer overlap with the waves passing through the double slits, resulting in no interference pattern. This phenomenon is known as single-slit diffraction.