What is the weight of a bucketful of water?

In summary, a helicopter is used to fill buckets with water to drop on fires. The bucket is a hemisphere with a diameter of 2 meters and a mass of 25 kg. The weight of a bucketful of water, including the weight of the bucket, would be approximately 25 kg multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), which is 245 N.
siimplyabi

Homework Statement

A helicopter is used to fill buckets with water to drop on fires. The bucket is a hemisphere with a diameter of 2 meters and a mass of 25 kg. The helicopter lowers the bucket into a lake or reservoir to fill it

a) What is the weight of a bucketful of water? [/B]

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I actually need to find how much water weighs?
Or can i just find the weight of the bucked using W=25kg(9.8)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
siimplyabi said:
a) What is the weight of a bucketful of water?

Do I actually need to find how much water weighs?
It says a bucketful of water, so of course you need the weight of the water that would fill the bucket.
What is less clear is whether you should add the weight of the bucket. I expect it intends that you should, but in that case it is worded wrongly. It should ask for the weight of a "bucket, full of water". A bucketful is a measure of volume (for a given bucket), so strictly speaking a bucketful of water just refers to the water in the bucket, not the water plus the bucket.

It asks for the weight of a bucketful of water so I would include the bucket.

Thank You all :)

CWatters said:
It asks for the weight of a bucketful of water so I would include the bucket.
I can eat a spoonful of sugar, but not a spoon full of sugar.

haruspex said:
I can eat a spoonful of sugar, but not a spoon full of sugar.
Not unless you want to take a trip to the emergency room.

1. What is the standard unit of measurement for weight?

The standard unit of measurement for weight is the kilogram (kg).

2. Does the weight of a bucketful of water vary depending on the size of the bucket?

Yes, the weight of a bucketful of water will vary depending on the size of the bucket. The more water that is added to the bucket, the heavier it will become.

3. How much does a bucketful of water typically weigh?

A bucketful of water typically weighs around 8.34 pounds (3.78 kilograms). This is based on the weight of 1 gallon of water, which is equal to 3.78 kilograms.

4. Does the temperature of the water affect its weight?

Yes, the temperature of the water can affect its weight. Water is most dense at 4 degrees Celsius, so colder water will weigh slightly more than warmer water.

5. Can the weight of a bucketful of water be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, the weight of a bucketful of water can be converted to other units of measurement, such as ounces or pounds. This conversion can be done using a conversion calculator or by using conversion equations.