What is the Young's modulus of a nylon rope used for climbing?

• Thread starter sowmit
  • Start date
In summary, a 50m long nylon rope with a diameter of 1.0 cm is used by a 90 kg climber for safety in climbing. When supported, the rope elongates 1.6m. Using the equation Y=F*Lo/A*delta L, the Young's modulus of the rope is calculated to be 1.87*e^7 pa, which is significantly lower than the actual value of 3.5*e^8 pa. This may be due to incorrect calculations, as the area of the rope was calculated using the formula pi*r^2, which yielded a much smaller value than the actual area of the rope.
sowmit

Homework Statement

For safety in climbing, a mountaineer uses a nylon rope that is 50 m long and 1.0 cm in diameter. When supported, a 90 kg climber, sthe rope elongates 1.6m. Find it's Young's modules?

Homework Equations

F/A= Y * delta L/ Lo -> Y= F*Lo/ A*delta L

The Attempt at a Solution

I have Lo= 50m, delta L = (50+1.6)= 51.6m
m=90kg, g=9.8m/s^2
So, F= 882N, B

But I don't have Area, A? Even when I do this -> diameter,d =1 cm= .01m , r= .005m

So, Area,A= pi r^2 = .0157.

When I plus in the numbers into the equations, Y= F*Lo/ A*delta L

the answer comes out to be 1.87*e^7 pa WHILE the real answer is 3.5*e^8 pa. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pi * r^2 is much smaller than 0.0157. Also delta L is just 1.6m.

Related to What is the Young's modulus of a nylon rope used for climbing?

1. How do I approach solving a complex scientific problem?

The first step is to clearly define the problem and understand the scope of the issue. Next, gather all relevant information and conduct research to identify potential solutions. Then, develop a plan of action and systematically test and analyze your ideas until a successful solution is found.

2. What are some effective problem-solving strategies?

Some strategies include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, brainstorming and generating multiple solutions, seeking input from others, and using trial and error. It is also important to remain open-minded and adaptable, as the problem-solving process may require adjusting or changing approaches.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice is key when it comes to developing problem-solving skills. Engage in activities that require critical thinking and decision-making, such as puzzles or riddles. Additionally, seek out challenges and actively seek feedback to identify areas for improvement.

4. What should I do if I get stuck while trying to solve a problem?

If you are feeling stuck, take a step back and approach the problem from a different perspective. It may also be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh mind. Seeking input from others or trying a new problem-solving strategy may also help break through the roadblock.

5. How can I ensure I am solving the right problem?

Before diving into solving a problem, it is important to confirm that you are addressing the root cause of the issue. Ask clarifying questions and gather information to fully understand the problem. Additionally, consider potential consequences and potential solutions before moving forward with a plan of action.