What is this electromagnetic device called?

In summary: It looked like the voltage was getting stronger when the core was removed, but I'm not sure if he's actually reversing the current or if the voltage is just being amplified.
Josh225
What is this electromagnetic device called? I've seen a couple. There is this one: as well as one similar but you must keep the magnet in motion to generate electricity.

I would like to make one of these, but I don't know the name of it which makes it hard to search for instructions and a general overview.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Josh225 said:
What is this electromagnetic device called? I've seen a couple. There is this one: as well as one similar but you must keep the magnet in motion to generate electricity.

I would like to make one of these, but I don't know the name of it which makes it hard to search for instructions and a general overview.

Thanks!

From the description give with the video:

Published on Jun 6, 2014
This video shows the operation of an electromagnetic induction. The coil consists of two windings of copper wire, "the primary coil 1, the secondary coil 2." The primary coil is composed of 220 turns of wire 0.40 mm. The secondary coil is composed of 120 turns of wire from 0.85 mm. The working voltage is 28-30 volts AC.
Explanation of the operation:
in the spool of wood were wrapped two coils of copper wire separate between them. When in the central hole of the spool is inserted an iron core, the coil reacts by creating an electromagnetic field. Conversely, by exchanging the terminals of the coils, the electromagnetic force is canceled at the terminals of the wires.

I would call it an "air core transformer".

It is a transformer with removable core. When the metal core is inserted the magnetic field becomes stronger and thus it generates stronger voltage in the secondary coil.

However I am not completely sure what he is doing when we see the reverse effect, the voltage to become stronger when the core is removed...

Delta² said:
It is a transformer with removable core. When the metal core is inserted the magnetic field becomes stronger and thus it generates stronger voltage in the secondary coil.

However I am not completely sure what he is doing when we see the reverse effect, the voltage to become stronger when the core is removed...
The windings are likely both in series with the bulb in the latter portion of the video. The bolt is drawn in with much less force.

Likes Delta2
Averagesupernova said:
The windings are likely both in series with the bulb in the latter portion of the video. The bolt is drawn in with much less force.

Thanks!
Like Delta² , I was puzzled by the "that's not quite right" second part of the video.

Related to What is this electromagnetic device called?

1. What is an electromagnetic device?

An electromagnetic device is a device that uses electromagnetic principles to generate, control, or detect electromagnetic fields. These devices can include things such as motors, generators, antennas, and sensors.

2. How does an electromagnetic device work?

Electromagnetic devices work by using electricity to create a magnetic field or by using a magnetic field to create electricity. This interaction between electricity and magnetism allows the device to perform a specific function.

3. What are some examples of electromagnetic devices?

Some common examples of electromagnetic devices include electric motors, generators, transformers, radios, televisions, and MRI machines. Basically, any device that uses electricity or creates a magnetic field can be considered an electromagnetic device.

4. What are the benefits of using electromagnetic devices?

Electromagnetic devices offer many benefits, including efficiency, precision, and versatility. They are also often more reliable and durable than other types of devices. Additionally, many electromagnetic devices are environmentally friendly, as they do not emit harmful gases or chemicals.

5. Can electromagnetic devices be harmful to humans?

In general, electromagnetic devices are not harmful to humans. However, some devices that emit high levels of electromagnetic radiation, such as x-ray machines, can be harmful if not used properly. It is important to follow safety precautions and guidelines when working with or around electromagnetic devices to minimize any potential risks.