What is this old bottle of 'Uranium' found at my workplace?

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of an old bottle with a mostly-decayed label containing the word 'uranium' and (iv) in parentheses. The bottle appears to contain a white powder, possibly as a result of moisture getting into it. The individual has contacted their haz-waste person and is seeking further insight on what the substance may be. A photo is attached for reference, but the color of the powder may be difficult to determine due to the colored glass of the bottle. It is noted that UF6 should be U(VI) not (IV) and the full-size photo is included.
harborwolf
I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to what I found at my work the other day. We have old chemicals (some REALLY old) that turn up in random cabinets from time to time, and this time I was a bottle with a mostly-decayed label where the only thing that could be read was 'uranium' and then (iv) in parenthesees.

Now, it looks like a fine white powder, and at some point I think moisture got into it. I haven't opened it (rule #1?), and I've already contacted my haz-waste person, but I was hoping you guys might be able to give me an idea as to what it is. All of the Uranium dioxides and nitrates that I'm seeing aren't white powders...

I'm attaching the photo because I can't seem to figure out how to insert the image... thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Uranium.jpg
    Uranium.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 538
Physics news on Phys.org
UF6 should be U(VI) not (IV).
It might be hard to judge the color of the powder if the glass is colored as well.

Here is the full-size photo:

uranium-jpg.90263.jpg

mfb said:
UF6 should be U(VI) not (IV).
It might be hard to judge the color of the powder if the glass is colored as well.

Here is the full-size photo:

uranium-jpg.90263.jpg
The bottle itself is much taller than fat, not sure why this photo just won't upload properly, but your comment about the glass coloring it makes sense.

1. What is a "Old bottle of Uranium"?

A "Old bottle of Uranium" is a bottle that contains a radioactive element called uranium. It was commonly used in scientific experiments and as a source of energy in the past.

2. How can I tell if a bottle contains Uranium?

If the bottle is labeled as containing uranium, it is likely that it does. However, you can also perform a Geiger counter test to detect the presence of radiation, which is a characteristic of uranium.

3. Is it safe to handle an old bottle of Uranium?

No, it is not safe to handle an old bottle of Uranium without proper protective equipment and training. Uranium is a radioactive element and exposure to it can be harmful to your health.

4. Can an old bottle of Uranium still be used in experiments?

It is not recommended to use an old bottle of Uranium in experiments as it may have degraded over time and become less potent. It is also a safety hazard to handle radioactive materials without proper precautions.

5. How should I dispose of an old bottle of Uranium?

It is important to follow proper protocols for the disposal of radioactive materials. Contact your local government or a licensed disposal facility for guidance on how to safely dispose of an old bottle of Uranium.