What is typical internal resistance of analog voltage meter?

In summary, on a voltmeter, the internal resistance is typically 20kohm/V, while on an ammeter it is typically 1Mohm.
red123
What is typical internal resistance of a voltage meter on a handheld analog multimeter, and also what is typical resistance on its ammeter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
red123 said:
What is typical internal resistance of a voltage meter on a handheld analog multimeter, and also what is typical resistance on its ammeter?

What is the context of the question? Is this for schoolwork?

You can get both answers by looking at a datasheet for a typical analog meter. You can use Google Images to find some typical ones, and then look at their datasheets at the manufacturer's websites.

You mean the stone-old models where the current derived from the measured circuit moves a needle?
For sure you won't find a datasheet on the Internet. I used one in 1989 and it was very old-fashioned then.
One common value of internal resistance was 20kohm/V, which means that on the 10V scale it had 200kohm, on 100V scale 2MOhm and so on, due to resistors added in series when changing the scale.
You can also understand "20kohm/V" as "50µA at full needle deviation".

Oh wow, I wasn't thinking of that angle. I was thinking along the lines of transistor-based analog meters like my old Radio Shack one I had back in high school (a million years ago).

I guess the OP will have to be more specific in his question...

Ahh the classic Simpson 260 is still in production - you will find the datasheet.

As for the Resistance - in reality ALL analog Meters are really current meters: For Higher current precision shunt ( parallel ) resistors are added and for voltage and high precision resistance are. So the minimum current to deflect the meter is part of the measurement of the "quality" and then - how high of a grade of resistors used to make the different settings.

So compare the Simpson 260 DS with a Radio Shack $20 special... of course the Simpson was designed forever ago - and the RS was probably deigned last year.

Very long winded way of saying - there is no typical.

Of course a less old meter would be better...

EXCEPT that when I created the RFID technology at 13.56MHz in 1989, induced voltages were (still are!) so huge that electronics went crazy, and I had to exhume the already stone-old passive voltmeter to get sensible measurements.

Maybe Red123 is in a similar situation?

The kohm/V were written on the instruments at that time; if not, the resistance can be measured with an ohmmeter.

Related to What is typical internal resistance of analog voltage meter?

1. What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance is the inherent resistance within a measuring device, such as an analog voltage meter, that affects the accuracy of the measurement being taken. It is typically measured in ohms and can vary depending on the type and quality of the device.

2. How does internal resistance affect analog voltage measurements?

The internal resistance of an analog voltage meter can cause a voltage drop, which can lead to inaccurate readings. This is because the internal resistance is in series with the circuit being measured, creating a voltage divider effect. The higher the internal resistance, the larger the voltage drop and the less accurate the measurement.

3. What is the typical range of internal resistance for analog voltage meters?

The typical internal resistance for analog voltage meters can vary greatly, ranging from around 1,000 ohms to 10,000 ohms. Higher quality meters may have lower internal resistance, resulting in more accurate measurements.

4. How can I minimize the impact of internal resistance on my analog voltage measurements?

One way to minimize the impact of internal resistance is to use a voltage divider circuit with known values to compensate for the internal resistance of the meter. Another option is to use a meter with a lower internal resistance. Additionally, keeping the wires and connections as short and secure as possible can also help reduce the effects of internal resistance.

5. Can internal resistance change over time?

Yes, internal resistance can change over time as the device ages or is exposed to external factors such as temperature or humidity. It is important to regularly calibrate and maintain measuring devices to ensure accurate readings.