What is Upiter's speed when closest to the sun?

In summary, Upiter is a hypothetical planet that orbits the sun with a semi-major axis of 5.2 AU and a mass 0.001 times that of the sun. Its eccentricity is 0.2. To calculate Upiter's speed when it is closest to the sun, the equation v^2=GM(2/r - 1/a) can be used, where G is the gravitational parameter μ for the sun. The natural time unit TU is the sidereal Earth year divided by 2*π and the natural velocity unit VU is the average speed of the Earth in its orbit. By using these units, many numerical values can be cancelled out. Additionally, a formula for the perihelion
kopinator
A hypothetical planet Upiter orbits the sun. Upiter's semi-major axis is 5.2 AU. The mass of Upiter is .001 that of the sun. The eccentricity is 0.2. For this problem, ignore the other planets.

d. Compute Upiter's speed when it is closest to the sun.

I believe the equation I use for this is v^2=GM(2/r - 1/a), where a is the semi-major axis and r is the distance at perihelion. I know G is usually in m^3/kg/s^2 but since I'm given units in AU and solar masses, should I convert G to AU^3/Msun/s^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert everything to SI. EVERYTHING - even your age and the area of your living room! :-)

Likes 1 person
You could do most everything in the given units... note that GM is the gravitational parameter μ for the Sun, and it has a better known value than G or M individually.

With distance units of AU, the natural time unit TU is the sidereal Earth year divided by ##2 \pi##. That gives you a value in seconds for TU which might be useful later, but for the initial calculations just use "TU". The natural velocity unit VU is the average speed of the Earth in its orbit, or AU/TU. The gravitational parameter is then μ = AU3/TU2.

Just using AU, TU, VU in your formulas where applicable will allow a lot of things to just cancel out without dealing with a bunch of numerical values.

You still need a formula for the perihelion distance. Any ideas on that front?

1. What is a planet's orbital speed?

A planet's orbital speed is the speed at which it revolves around its star or central body in its orbit.

2. How is a planet's orbital speed calculated?

A planet's orbital speed is calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central body, and r is the distance between the planet and the central body.

3. What factors affect a planet's orbital speed?

The main factors that affect a planet's orbital speed are the mass of the central body, the distance between the planet and the central body, and the gravitational force between them.

4. How does a planet's orbital speed affect its orbit?

A planet's orbital speed determines the shape and size of its orbit. A higher orbital speed results in a larger orbit, while a lower orbital speed results in a smaller orbit.

5. Can a planet's orbital speed change over time?

Yes, a planet's orbital speed can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational forces from other objects, collisions, and changes in the mass or distance of the central body.