What is v×w if v, a, and b have length 1 and w has length 2?

• Thread starter Lord Popo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, the vectors v and w are perpendicular in the figure, but b is not. The cross product points in the direction of b.
Lord Popo

Homework Statement

Let v, a, and b be the vectors (in the plane of the paper), all of which have length 1. (See attached picture). Let w be a vector of length 2 pointing directly out of the paper. Which of the following vectors is v×w?

Homework Equations

The formula for the cross product of vectors v and w = v×w = (v2w3 - (v3w2)i - (v1w3 - (v3w1)j + (v1w2 - (v2w1)k

The formula for the length of the cross product is |v×w| = |v| |w| sin θ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I approached this correctly, but I assumed that the lengths of the vectors in the picture are: |v| = 1, |a| = 1, |b| = 1, and |w| = 2. Since w comes out of the paper, I'm assuming it's perpendicular to v, so the angle between v| and v| is 90°. Therefore, sin (90°) = 1
Then I found the length of the cross product of v and w = |v×w| = (1) (2) sin (90°) = (1)(2)(1) = 2.
I still don't understand why the answer to the problem is 2b, and how would we know exactly what all the vector components of v, a, and b would be? I've been stuck on this for a while. Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• examq1.PNG
    examq1.PNG
    14.4 KB · Views: 274
Physics news on Phys.org
Lord Popo said:
Then I found the length of the cross product

Right. That's not the cross product (which is a vector). That's its magnitude. To find its direction you can use the right hand rule, which you can imagine using either the fingers of your right hand, or a normal right-handed screw (which goes in when turned clockwise and out when turned counterclockwise).

v x w is a vector which is perpendicular to both v and w. Because w is directly out of the paper, that's going to be in the plane of the paper (everything in the plane of the paper is perpendicular to w). And it's perpendicular to v. You'll notice that b is perpendicular to v in the plane of the paper. So the cross product points either in the direction of b or the opposite direction, and applying the right-hand rule...

<< Mentor Note -- the end of this reply has been deleted due to a bit too much explicit equation help >>

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not need to know what the components are. In fact, coordinate systems would just get in the way here. Instead, focus on the invariant geometrical properties of the vectors. For example, you have concluded (correctly) that the length of vxw is 2. What about the direction?

RPinPA said:
Right. That's not the cross product (which is a vector). That's its magnitude. To find its direction you can use the right hand rule, which you can imagine using either the fingers of your right hand, or a normal right-handed screw (which goes in when turned clockwise and out when turned counterclockwise).

v x w is a vector which is perpendicular to both v and w. Because w is directly out of the paper, that's going to be in the plane of the paper (everything in the plane of the paper is perpendicular to w). And it's perpendicular to v. You'll notice that b is perpendicular to v in the plane of the paper. So the cross product points either in the direction of b or the opposite direction, and applying the right-hand rule...

<< Mentor Note -- the end of this reply has been deleted due to a bit too much explicit equation help >>

Hi, thank you for your response. I was wondering how do I know that v and b are perpendicular if the problem doesn't specify that they are? What if the figure was not drawn to scale?

Generally you don’t. It should be appreciated from the figure in this case. A box to mark the right angle would have helped the figure ...

They didn't really indicate that v is perpendicular to b and they should have, but the artificial situation of having a multiple-choice answer gives you that clue. It certainly isn't perpendicular to a.

And if it was so badly drawn that the vector they intended as perpendicular didn't look like that at all, then you'd at least have a right to complain about a bad question.

1. What is the magnitude of v×w?

The magnitude of v×w is equal to the product of the magnitudes of v and w, multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. In this case, since v and w have lengths 1 and 2 respectively, the magnitude of v×w would be 2 times the sine of the angle between them.

2. What is the direction of v×w?

The direction of v×w is perpendicular to both v and w, following the right-hand rule. In this case, since v and w have lengths 1 and 2 respectively, the direction of v×w would be perpendicular to both with a magnitude of 2.

3. How is v×w calculated?

The cross product of two vectors, v×w, is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix formed by the unit vectors i, j, and k, with v and w as the second and third rows respectively. In this case, the resulting vector would have components (0, 0, 2) since v and w have lengths 1 and 2 respectively.

4. What is the difference between the cross product and the dot product?

The cross product and the dot product are two different ways of multiplying vectors. The dot product results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product results in a vector quantity. Additionally, the dot product measures the projection of one vector onto another, while the cross product measures the perpendicular component of one vector to another.

5. Can v×w be negative?

Yes, v×w can be negative. The sign of v×w depends on the angle between v and w. If the angle between them is greater than 90 degrees, then v×w will be negative. If the angle is less than 90 degrees, then v×w will be positive. In this case, since v and w have lengths 1 and 2 respectively, the angle between them would need to be greater than 90 degrees for v×w to be negative.