What is white matter of the brain?

In summary, white matter is composed of myelinated axons, which increase the conduction velocity of long range fasciculi in the brain.
jayadds
Hi all,

As stated above, what is white matter of the brain? Now, I have already read the standard definition for the term:

White matter is composed mostly of myelinated axons.

However, I seem to have difficulty understanding that concept. Is it trying to say that white matter is ONLY composed of myelinated axons? Am I right in thinking that there are no dendrites and cell bodies in the white matter? If so, does it mean that white matter is not made up of whole neurons but is actually made up of PARTS of a neuron? Perhaps I'm overthinking this a bit too much.

Many thanks,
Jay

Biology news on Phys.org
good question I would say mostly axons because axons can be super long and there are lots and lots of it, while dendrites are pretty small in comparison. the cells / tissues themselves are going to be just grey matter

White matter serves mostly as an "insulator" of long projection neuron tracts in the brain. It evolved to increase the conduction velocity of long range fasciculi such as the arcuate fasciculus which connects the left hemisphere language system in humans.

However, I seem to have difficulty understanding that concept. Is it trying to say that white matter is ONLY composed of myelinated axons? Am I right in thinking that there are no dendrites and cell bodies in the white matter? If so, does it mean that white matter is not made up of whole neurons but is actually made up of PARTS of a neuron? Perhaps I'm overthinking this a bit too much.

No, you're not overthinking it, it is an important question. There are two way axons become myelenated, 1) Schwann cells, which are glial cells that wrap their entire soma around an axon, and 2) oligodenrocytes, which have cellular projections that can wrap around several axons of different neurons. These are also glial cells. I don't believe the soma (cell body) and dendrites of neurons in general are myelinated. I'm just stating this from memory, so you might want to run a search on this to verify the details. There should be a good amount of data on it online.

1. What is white matter of the brain?

The white matter of the brain is a type of tissue that makes up the inner portion of the brain. It is made up of myelinated nerve fibers, which are responsible for carrying information between different areas of the brain and between the brain and the rest of the body.

2. How does white matter differ from gray matter?

White matter is primarily composed of axons, which are long projections that transmit information, while gray matter is composed of cell bodies and dendrites, which are responsible for receiving and processing information. White matter appears white due to the myelin sheath that surrounds the axons, while gray matter appears gray due to the lack of myelin.

3. What is the function of white matter in the brain?

White matter plays a crucial role in the communication and coordination of different brain regions. It allows for the transmission of electrical signals between neurons, which is essential for various cognitive functions, such as memory, learning, and movement.

4. How does white matter relate to brain disorders?

White matter abnormalities have been linked to various neurological disorders, including multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, and schizophrenia. Damage to white matter can disrupt communication between brain regions and result in cognitive and motor impairments.

5. Can white matter change over time?

Yes, white matter can change and adapt over time through a process called neuroplasticity. This allows the brain to reorganize and form new connections in response to learning and experience. However, white matter can also be damaged by injury, disease, or aging.