What is wrong with my oscilloscope?

• Thread starter Complex glides
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscilloscope
In summary, the user is trying to create a waveform using a scope but the signal is too small. They suspect that the problem is with the input voltage, so they try different probes and calibration points on the scope. They eventually find that the problem is with the user and not the scope.
Complex glides
I have been fighting it for days and no matter what I try I can't make the waves bigger. The signal I'm putting in is a 1 volt peak to peak wave and if I adjust the voltage on the scale to 1 volt I can't see the wave and if it set it to 10mv I can see it but barley. I have tested the voltage with a meter and it's 1 volt and if I try to use this scope to tune a amplifier the wave is still tiny like on the picture. How can I fix this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If not a probe fault...
Perhaps you have the time base too fast. Eg transitions are off the screen left an right so it looks like a DC signal and any signal you see on the 10mv setting is actually noise?

If not the above, check that you're not triggering on noise, and that your trigger conditions are appropriate for your signal.

Complex glides said:
I have been fighting it for days and no matter what I try I can't make the waves bigger. The signal I'm putting in is a 1 volt peak to peak wave and if I adjust the voltage on the scale to 1 volt I can't see the wave and if it set it to 10mv I can see it but barley. I have tested the voltage with a meter and it's 1 volt and if I try to use this scope to tune a amplifier the wave is still tiny like on the picture. How can I fix this?

is the scope probe switched to x10 instead of x1 ??

what if you connect the probe to the scopes calibration point on the front panel ?
they are usually a 1V p-p square wave

Are you REALLY SURE you input voltage to the scope from your project is 1V p-p ?
have you proved that using some other method ?Dave

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
Do you have two channels on the scope and do they exhibit the same fault? Is there a calib output on the scope?
Are all the timebase, trigger, gain and signal selection settings correct. What happens with 1.5V DC from a battery (the easiest calibration source) of other sources.
What sort of scope is it? Analogue / digital / PC based etc. IS there a make and model number available?

Oscilloscopes can be a pain to troubleshoot. There are so many simple mistakes that can mess with a clean signal. The other posters mentioned some of the common ones.

First I would find a basic "How to use" video on youtube. Perhaps you can find one specific to your scope? It should walk you through most of the controls. As davenn said, there's usually a clean signal on the front that gives a 1V square wave to practice with. Once you get that going it should be easier to track down a good signal.

Play around some. There are always quirks or unexpected limits, so take the time to learn. It will pay off in the long run.

Good luck.

Jeff Rosenbury said:
First I would find a basic "How to use" video on youtube. Perhaps you can find one specific to your scope? It should walk you through most of the controls. As davenn said, there's usually a clean signal on the front that gives a 1V square wave to practice with. Once you get that going it should be easier to track down a good signal.

agreed :smile:

am strongly suspecting user error rather than faulty scope

What is wrong with my oscilloscope?

1. Why is my oscilloscope not displaying any waveform?

There could be several reasons for this issue. Check the power supply and connections to make sure they are secure. Also, ensure that the correct channel and input are selected. If the issue persists, there may be a problem with the internal circuitry or the display itself.

2. Why is there noise or distortion in my waveform?

This could be due to a faulty probe or incorrect settings. Try adjusting the probe's position and making sure it is properly connected to the oscilloscope. You can also try changing the settings, such as the voltage range or time scale, to see if the noise or distortion improves.

3. Why is my oscilloscope not triggering?

Triggering is necessary for the oscilloscope to display a stable waveform. Check the trigger settings to make sure they are configured correctly. If the issue persists, there may be a problem with the trigger circuit or the signal being measured.

4. Why is my waveform distorted or stretched?

This could be due to incorrect settings, such as the time base or voltage range. Make sure these settings are appropriate for the signal being measured. It could also be an issue with the probe, so try using a different one to see if the waveform improves.

5. Why is my oscilloscope not saving or printing my waveform?

Some oscilloscopes have a built-in storage or printing function, but they may require additional equipment or software. Make sure you have all the necessary components and that they are properly connected. You may also need to adjust the settings for saving or printing in the oscilloscope's menu.