What Is Wrong with My Solution for This Second Order Differential Equation?

In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation but got it wrong. Both the answer given by Wolfram and the one given by the teacher involve trig functions which the student is apparently not using correctly.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

y''-2y'+2y = e^-t, y(0)=0, y'(0)=4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Again.. I find it to be really easy, then get it wrong. My answer is not even close. Applying the properties of the laplace transform in the usual way,

s^2L{y} - 4 - 2L{y} + 2L{y} = L{e^-t}

=>

[itex]L{y} = (\frac{1}{s+1})(\frac{1}{s^2 - 2s + 2}) + (\frac{4}{s^2-2s+2})[/itex]

Now, I split the first term into partial fractions and factored the denomenator of the second. I'll spare you all of that tedious algebra:

[itex]-\frac{1}{4}(\frac{1}{s+1}) + \frac{1}{4}(\frac{1}{s-1}) - \frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{(s-1)^{2}}) + 4(\frac{1}{(s-1)^{2}})[/itex]The inverse laplace of that, I find to be

-(1/4)e^-t + (1/4)e^t - (1/2)te^t + 4te^t

The answer given and the one given by wolfram involves trig functions, what am I doing wrong??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

y''-2y'+2y = e^-t, y(0)=0, y'(0)=4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Again.. I find it to be really easy, then get it wrong. My answer is not even close. Applying the properties of the laplace transform in the usual way,

s^2L{y} - 4 - 2L{y} + 2L{y} = L{e^-t}

=>

[itex]L{y} = (\frac{1}{s+1})(\frac{1}{s^2 - 2s + 2}) + (\frac{4}{s^2-2s+2})[/itex]

Now, I split the first term into partial fractions and factored the denomenator of the second. I'll spare you all of that tedious algebra:

[itex]-\frac{1}{4}(\frac{1}{s+1}) + \frac{1}{4}(\frac{1}{s-1}) - \frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{(s-1)^{2}}) + 4(\frac{1}{(s-1)^{2}})[/itex]The inverse laplace of that, I find to be

-(1/4)e^-t + (1/4)e^t - (1/2)te^t + 4te^t

The answer given and the one given by wolfram involves trig functions, what am I doing wrong??

Thanks!

For starters, s2 - 2s + 2 ≠ (s - 1)2.

Mark44 said:
For starters, s2 - 2s + 2 ≠ (s - 1)2.

I think I need a nap.

Related to What Is Wrong with My Solution for This Second Order Differential Equation?

1. What is a "no-homo" second order DE?

A "no-homo" second order DE refers to a second order differential equation that does not contain any homogeneous terms. This means that the equation does not have any terms that only involve the dependent variable and its derivatives.

2. How is a "no-homo" second order DE different from a regular second order DE?

The main difference between a "no-homo" second order DE and a regular second order DE is that the former does not have any homogeneous terms, while the latter may have one or more homogeneous terms. This can significantly affect the solutions and behaviors of the two types of equations.

3. What are some common examples of "no-homo" second order DEs?

One common example of a "no-homo" second order DE is the damped harmonic oscillator equation, which is often used in physics to model the motion of a mass on a spring with friction. Another example is the forced oscillation equation, which describes the motion of a mass on a spring under the influence of an external force.

4. How do you solve a "no-homo" second order DE?

The general method for solving a "no-homo" second order DE involves finding a particular solution and a complementary solution. The particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the non-homogeneous terms of the equation, while the complementary solution satisfies the homogeneous version of the equation. The general solution is then the sum of the particular and complementary solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of "no-homo" second order DEs?

"No-homo" second order DEs have various applications in different fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the motion of a pendulum, the decay of radioactive materials, and the spread of diseases in a population. They can also be used to analyze the stability and behavior of mechanical and electrical systems.