What other experimental evidence exists for entanglement?

In summary, the evidence for entanglement is that it is related Spin, and other properties have been shown to be entangled as well.
gespex
Hello all,

I know "quantum entanglement" is real, in some sense. I know that if we entangle two particles their spin, for instance, is closely related. Especially spin entanglement has enough evidence, yet it is also easy to explain using a hidden variable.
Hence I wonder: what other experimental evidence is there for entanglement? Which properties have been shown to be entangled, and in what way?

Thanks in advance,
Gespex

Physics news on Phys.org
gespex said:
Hello all,

I know "quantum entanglement" is real, in some sense. I know that if we entangle two particles their spin, for instance, is closely related. Especially spin entanglement has enough evidence, yet it is also easy to explain using a hidden variable.
Hence I wonder: what other experimental evidence is there for entanglement? Which properties have been shown to be entangled, and in what way?

Thanks in advance,
Gespex

Once you read Bell's Theorem, I would hope you would revise your comment about "easy to explain using a hidden variable". A non-local hidden variable is theoretically feasible, but not with local ones. Are you familiar with Bell?

As to things that can be entangled: there are many things which have been experimentally entangled besides photons. I don't keep track of them specifically, but you can get an idea of papers published this year by scanning some of these:

http://arxiv.org/find/quant-ph/1/abs:+AND+entanglement+experiment/0/1/0/2011/0/1?per_page=100

Here is an older paper you may like:

Hyper-entanglement (more than just spin):
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0406148

Thank you for your answer. I'm not saying it is easy to introduce a local variable theorem for all of entanglement, only for the entanglement of spin.

I wasn't asking about what kind of particles have been entangled, I know it's not about the particles. But rather, which properties of particles have been tested to be entangled and in what way this test was done.
The only one I am aware of is spin, where the test is "up-spin" or "down-spin" for two distinct axis. But I know others have been tested as well, I just don't know of any such experiments.

I will read the links you posted now.

Thanks

gespex said:
Thank you for your answer. I'm not saying it is easy to introduce a local variable theorem for all of entanglement, only for the entanglement of spin...

Bell's Theorem shows that is not possible. See below for a proof (from my website, and I will be glad to answer any questions).

Bell's Theorem with Easy Math

DrChinese said:
Bell's Theorem shows that is not possible. See below for a proof (from my website, and I will be glad to answer any questions).

Bell's Theorem with Easy Math

Hmm very interesting link... Maybe I was wrong, but I'm going to have to let it sink in a bit more.

Thanks for your replies!

Related to What other experimental evidence exists for entanglement?

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other particles, even if they are physically separated.

2. How is entanglement detected?

Entanglement can be detected through various experiments, such as the Bell test or quantum teleportation. These experiments involve measuring the correlations between the states of the entangled particles and comparing them to the predictions of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the evidence for entanglement?

There is strong evidence for entanglement through numerous experiments, including the violation of Bell's inequality, the delayed-choice quantum eraser experiment, and the quantum entanglement swapping experiment. These experiments have consistently shown that entanglement is a real phenomenon and not just a mathematical concept.

4. How is entanglement useful?

Entanglement has many potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It also allows for the study of quantum correlations and the fundamental nature of reality.

5. Can entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, entanglement cannot be used for faster-than-light communication. While the state of an entangled particle can be instantly affected by the state of its entangled partner, this does not violate the speed of light since no information is actually being transmitted between the particles.