What particles can the Z boson couple to in the standard model?

In summary: The coupling is zero at tree level, but it's stronger than that: they arise only through fermion loops.
jc09
Hi just wondering if anyone could tell me why the Z boson can couple to any standard model particle except forgluons and photons?

Physics news on Phys.org
It has no color charge and the gluon has no weak charge, so that's why it doesn't couple to the gluon. The photon is more subtle: the symmetry structure of the standard model prevents it.

ok thank you for your help

one could add that the Z boson and the photon are two orthogonal linear combinations of the same fields in the electroweak lagrangian, and because of their orthogonality they do not couple to each other.

A second way to see it is that the photon only couple to particles with charge, but the Z boson is neutral.

kaksmet said:
A second way to see it is that the photon only couple to particles with charge

That's often written, but it's not correct. A photon can couple magnetically to an uncharged object (like a neutron).

Vanadium 50 said:
That's often written, but it's not correct. A photon can couple magnetically to an uncharged object (like a neutron).

Hmm, in what limit? See, I would think of the neutron as made of udd (in valence terms), and therefore the photon 'coupling' to the neutron would actually be interacting with one of the constituent quarks. Of course, one could write a Fermi-like term for the interaction, but that's kind of cheating.

But before we knew about quarks, we knew the photon coupled to the neutron magnetically. There is no trouble with writing a magnetic coupling.

Vanadium 50 said:
But before we knew about quarks, we knew the photon coupled to the neutron magnetically. There is no trouble with writing a magnetic coupling.
In the context of the standard model the photon coupling to neutral particles is zero at tree level. The only way the photon couples to neutral particles (including itself and the Z boson) is via higher order corrections. The standard model does not contain a neutron as a fundamental degree of freedom so it's missleading to discuss couplings to fundamental particles and to effectice degrees of fredom on an equal footing.

This is where things get complicated - the issue of what can the Z do and what the SM says it does can easily get mixed up.

I maintain that one can write a photon's magnetic coupling to a neutral particle without any problem. It is true that the standard model has no neutral particles with magnetic moments, but that doesn't mean one cannot write down a term in the Lagrangian like this - the difference is between what can happen, and what does happen. I gave the pre-quark theory example of the neutron.

In fact one doesn't have to stop here - the magnetic coupling adds one derivative. If I add two, I get an electric quadrupole coupling. Three, magnetic octupole, and so on.

In the SM, however, these couplings are nonexistent. Indeed, as tom.storer said, they are zero at tree level, but it's stronger than that: they arise only through fermion loops. In a world with just W's, Z's and photons, the photon and Z would not couple at any order.

So the Z "can" couple to the photon in the sense that I can write down a legal Z-photon coupling. However, in the SM this piece is zero at tree level, and in fact, would be zero at all orders if it weren't for matter effects in loops.

Agreed.

Related to What particles can the Z boson couple to in the standard model?

What is a Z boson?

A Z boson is a subatomic particle that carries the weak nuclear force. It is an elementary particle, meaning it cannot be broken down into smaller particles.

What is coupling in relation to Z bosons?

Coupling refers to the interaction between two particles. In the case of Z bosons, coupling explains how they interact with other particles, such as fermions, to transmit the weak nuclear force.

How is Z boson coupling explained?

Z boson coupling is explained through the Standard Model of particle physics. This theory describes the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe, including how Z bosons interact with other particles.

Why is understanding Z boson coupling important?

Understanding Z boson coupling is crucial in order to fully understand the weak nuclear force and its role in the universe. It also helps scientists make predictions and test the accuracy of the Standard Model.

What are some real-world applications of Z boson coupling?

The study of Z boson coupling has practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy, medical imaging, and particle accelerators. It also helps us understand the origins and evolution of the universe.