What percentage of the universe do we know

In summary, no matter how much we progress, how much more we learn about the universe, we will still know as much as we currently know... which doesn't really make sense, since we obviously increased the amount of information we have about it.
Radu Mitroi
Hello.
First of all, I must say that I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section.
I'm a 17 year old with not that much knowledge about physics, so if what I'm talking about makes no sense or is completely stupid, just let me know.

A couple of days ago I asked myself: Is it possible to say what percentage of the universe do we know? (note: I'm talking about the whole universe, not just our observable universe)
At first I said that it is not possible to answer such question since it implies that we know what 100% of the universe is. If the universe is, indeed, infinite, that means we can do some math, as 100% = infinite.
https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/14642996_1165564973536187_187242484_n.png?oh=18cc2d1f2867750971fa0dff9a00899c&oe=57FC053B
No matter what value we give to X, the answer will be the same, that is infinite. With this in mind, does it mean that what we currently know about the universe represents an infinite amount? And if so, it means that, as X increases, the result will still be infinite. That means that no matter how much we progress, how much more we learn about the universe, we will still know as much as we currently know... which doesn't really make sense, since we obviously increased the amount of information we have about it.

Space news on Phys.org
Why not start with a simpler question: What percentage of your left big toe do you know?

We can't know anything scientific about what can't observe.

Likes jim mcnamara
Radu Mitroi said:
A couple of days ago I asked myself: Is it possible to say what percentage of the universe do we know? (note: I'm talking about the whole universe, not just our observable universe)

It is not possible, as we don't know the size of the entire universe.

Radu Mitroi said:
At first I said that it is not possible to answer such question since it implies that we know what 100% of the universe is. If the universe is, indeed, infinite, that means we can do some math, as 100% = infinite.

I don't think your math is valid. As far as I understand, infinity represents an ever increasing quantity, not a single value. You cannot say 100% equals infinity since there are a never-ending number of values for infinity. You also couldn't say 100% equals 2 and 4.

You could pose the question as x+y =1, where x is the observable universe, y is the unobservable universe and 1 is the sum.. Given 'y' is always unknown, the question is undefined.

Likes Stephanus
Radu Mitroi said:
If the universe is, indeed, infinite, that means we can do some math, as 100% = infinite.
The math you can do is simply
##x/\infty=0##, wherby ##x## ist finite.

Therefore you can't talk about a percentage of the infinite universe depending on the size of the observable universe.

Last edited:
On the other hand, the universe might not be infinite, nobody knows.
However it still remains pointless to discuss percentage of an unknown quantity.

Likes jim mcnamara and jbriggs444

1. What is the estimated percentage of the universe that we currently know?

According to the latest research, we have only explored and understand about 4% of the entire universe. This includes the observable universe, which is the portion of the universe that we can see from Earth.

2. How do scientists determine the percentage of the universe that we know?

Scientists use various methods such as observations, theoretical models, and mathematical calculations to estimate the amount of the universe that we have explored and understand. These methods are continuously being refined and improved as we learn more about the universe.

3. What is the remaining 96% of the universe composed of?

The remaining 96% of the universe is made up of dark matter and dark energy, which are both invisible and difficult to detect. These substances are believed to make up the majority of the universe, but we still have much to learn about them.

4. Will we ever know 100% of the universe?

It is highly unlikely that we will ever know 100% of the universe. As our technology and understanding of the universe improves, we may be able to explore and understand more of it, but there will always be more to discover and learn.

5. How important is it to continue exploring and understanding the universe?

Exploring and understanding the universe is crucial to our understanding of the world and our place in it. It also helps us to answer fundamental questions about the origins and evolution of the universe, and can lead to new discoveries and advancements in science and technology.