What qualifications do I need for a career in embedded / control systems?

In summary, the individual is a CS graduate who is not finding the field appealing and has developed an interest in embedded / control systems after reading about them. They are wondering if they can pursue this field with only a BS in CS or if they should get a second BS or MS in EE. Educational funds are not a concern due to the availability of the GI Bill. They are seeking guidance on how to reach their professional goals related to embedded control systems, whether it be designing, writing software, or installing and servicing them. They are advised to research companies in this field and find out their requirements for these roles.
Cod
After graduating with a BS in CS, I haven't really found anything in the field very appealing. However, after reading some things, I've found myself very interested in embedded / control systems. My question, is this a field I can pursue with only a BS in CS? Or should I go for a BS or MS in EE? If so, would a MS be the smarter choice?

Educational funds aren't a concern since I still have my GI Bill available. I'm just trying to figure out if getting a second bachelor's or MS in engineering will greatly improve my chances of reaching my professional goals.

Any guidance/advice is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your professional goals? An interest in embedded control systems isn't a professional goal. It's an interest.

Do you want to design them? Google up companies that do that and find out what they want in the way of designers.
Do you want to write software for them? Same plan.
Do you want to install or service them? You want some technical training with such equipment. Again, Google up companies that do that and find out what they want.

1. What is an embedded system?

An embedded system is a computer system designed to perform a specific task within a larger system. It consists of hardware and software components that are integrated together to control and monitor a device or machinery.

2. What is the difference between embedded systems and control systems?

Embedded systems refer to the technology used to create a device, while control systems refer to the functionality and purpose of the device. Embedded systems are the physical components, such as microcontrollers and sensors, while control systems are the software that manages and regulates these components.

3. How are embedded systems used in everyday devices?

Embedded systems are used in a wide range of everyday devices, including smartphones, cars, kitchen appliances, and medical equipment. They are responsible for controlling and monitoring the functions of these devices, making them more efficient and user-friendly.

4. What is the role of a control system engineer?

A control system engineer designs, implements, and maintains control systems for various applications. They are responsible for ensuring that the system functions as intended and meets all performance requirements. They also troubleshoot and make improvements to existing systems.

5. What are the challenges of developing embedded/control systems?

Developing embedded/control systems can be challenging due to the complexity of the hardware and software integration. It requires a deep understanding of both hardware and software, as well as knowledge of various programming languages and communication protocols. Additionally, ensuring the system's reliability, security, and performance can also be challenging and requires thorough testing and validation processes.