Pursue MS or Second BS for Abet Accredited EE Degree?

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    B.s.
In summary: I'm glad to hear that.In summary, it would be more beneficial for me to go back to school for a second B.S. in EE from an Abet accredited program.
Cod
I have a BS in CS from a non-Abet accredited program and would like to pursue electrical engineering (specifically automotive control systems) as a career. I've searched companies/jobs I'd like to do in the future and most require an engineering degree from an Abet accredited program. Would it be more beneficial for me to go back to school for a second B.S. in EE from an Abet accredit program? Or pursue a MS from a university that has Abet accredited undergrad programs? Would a MS be okay in this situation?

Of note, finances are not a factor since I still have the GI Bill to pay for whatever I decide. I just don't want to pursue a MSEE if employers will just scoff at me since my undergrad is not Abet accredited.

Thanks for any inputs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Will the GI Bill pay for a second undergraduate degree? I know very little about the topic, but I do know that the GI Bill has a strong emphasis on getting students in and out of school quickly. I have friends that are veterans and haven't been allowed to take electives (that were quite relevant to their major) because it was determined that they weren't necessary for their degree. I can imagine that there are some hoops to jump through for a second degree. As I said, I know very little about the GI Bill. However, if this is a question that you haven't looked into yet, it would be worth doing.

Ask attractive potential employers what they prefer. That is a free inquiry and they should be happy to reply.

QuantumCurt said:
Will the GI Bill pay for a second undergraduate degree? I know very little about the topic, but I do know that the GI Bill has a strong emphasis on getting students in and out of school quickly. I have friends that are veterans and haven't been allowed to take electives (that were quite relevant to their major) because it was determined that they weren't necessary for their degree. I can imagine that there are some hoops to jump through for a second degree. As I said, I know very little about the GI Bill. However, if this is a question that you haven't looked into yet, it would be worth doing.
Yes, the GI Bill will cover a second undergrad. I confirmed this with the VA a few days ago.

Chronos said:
Ask attractive potential employers what they prefer. That is a free inquiry and they should be happy to reply.
I'll give this a try in the next few days.

Thanks for the input.

Cod said:
Yes, the GI Bill will cover a second undergrad. I confirmed this with the VA a few days ago.

Ahh, that's excellent news.

1. Should I pursue a Master's degree or a second Bachelor's degree for an ABET accredited EE degree?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and personal circumstances. A Master's degree may be more beneficial for those interested in leadership positions or research roles, while a second Bachelor's degree may be more suitable for those looking to gain more technical knowledge and skills. Additionally, consider the time and financial commitments of each option.

2. Will having a Master's degree or a second Bachelor's degree make a difference in job opportunities?

Having either degree can open up job opportunities in the field of electrical engineering. However, some positions may require a Master's degree or prefer candidates with one. It is important to research the specific job requirements for your desired career path.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a Master's degree?

A Master's degree can provide a deeper understanding of electrical engineering principles, as well as advanced technical skills and knowledge. It can also enhance career opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries. Additionally, a Master's degree can provide networking opportunities and connections with industry professionals.

4. Can I pursue a Master's degree in electrical engineering if my Bachelor's degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's degree in electrical engineering with a Bachelor's degree in a different field. However, some programs may require prerequisite courses to ensure you have the necessary foundation in electrical engineering before starting the Master's program.

5. Is an ABET accreditation important for an electrical engineering degree?

Yes, ABET accreditation is important for an electrical engineering degree as it ensures that the program meets high standards of quality and rigor. It also demonstrates to employers that your degree is from a reputable institution and that you have received a well-rounded education in the field of electrical engineering.