What should be the power rating of the StepDown Transformer?

In summary, the conversation involves a member who imported an electrical equipment from the US that uses 110v but needs to purchase a step down transformer for their country's 220v power supply. They are puzzled by the term VAL in a circuit diagram and are seeking help to determine the voltage and current requirements of their antique device. It is suggested to use a multimeter to measure the output voltage and a clamp on amp meter to measure current without cutting the electrical cables. However, the circuit diagram may not be helpful and it is recommended to check the fuse or circuit breaker rating of the circuit the equipment is plugged into.
Yam
Dear Forum Members,

I imported an electrical equipment from the US which uses 110v, my country used 220v and as such i need to pirchase a step down transformer.

The equipment is a piece of antique and doesn't come with much instructions. I could only get a circuit diagram and i am puzzled by what is VAL. Could anyone help me out?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-20-14-22-24.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-20-14-22-24.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 365
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yam said:
The equipment is a piece of antique and doesn't come with much instructions. I could only get a circuit diagram and i am puzzled by what is VAL. Could anyone help me out?

As i saw your circuit its a one step -down transformer such that if you input 240 volts it can give an output of 115 volts - naturally the number of turns in the primary and secondary have been adjusted to give this output . i could only that VAL. refers to the value of the voltage -there is no restriction on current given - but before using it one should check by a multimeter the real output voltage with a main line input-just to be on safe side- if the equipment is very heavy say 10 kg or so then it may be rugged one and can withstand higher load-that is my guess!

Any answer to your question must begin with the power demand of your as antique device, plus a safety margin such as 2:1.

If you don't know how much power your antique device uses, your question can't be answered.

anorlunda said:
Any answer to your question must begin with the power demand of your as antique device, plus a safety margin such as 2:1.

If you don't know how much power your antique device uses, your question can't be answered.

I can't seem to find any information of the power demand of this equipment, its actually a large antique chemical photobooth.

Ill do my best to search for the power demand

drvrm said:
As i saw your circuit its a one step -down transformer such that if you input 240 volts it can give an output of 115 volts - naturally the number of turns in the primary and secondary have been adjusted to give this output . i could only that VAL. refers to the value of the voltage -there is no restriction on current given - but before using it one should check by a multimeter the real output voltage with a main line input-just to be on safe side- if the equipment is very heavy say 10 kg or so then it may be rugged one and can withstand higher load-that is my guess!

After getting a multimeter, is there anyway i can measure the current without cutting the electrical cables?

I have the circuit diagram of the entire system, would it help if i uploaded it? not too sure if i am allowed to do so or not too.

Yam said:
After getting a multimeter, is there anyway i can measure the current without cutting the electrical cables?

I have the circuit diagram of the entire system, would it help if i uploaded it? not too sure if i am allowed to do so or not too.

Yes, a clamp on type amp meter can measure current without breaking the circuit. Just make sure that it is clamped on only one of the two conductors to the wall plug.

A circuit diagram will probably not help.

If it is plugged in and working now, what is the fuse/circuit breaker rating of the circuit it is plugged in to?

Last edited:
Likes drvrm

1. What is a StepDown Transformer?

A StepDown Transformer is an electrical device that reduces the voltage of an alternating current (AC) power supply. It has a higher number of windings on the primary side and a lower number of windings on the secondary side, which results in a lower output voltage.

2. Why is it important to know the power rating of a StepDown Transformer?

The power rating of a StepDown Transformer is important because it determines the maximum amount of power that the transformer can handle without overheating or causing damage. Choosing the correct power rating is crucial for the safe and efficient operation of electrical equipment.

3. How do I determine the power rating of a StepDown Transformer?

The power rating of a StepDown Transformer can be determined by multiplying the output voltage by the output current. This will give you the maximum power that the transformer can handle without exceeding its capacity. It is important to also consider the power factor and efficiency of the transformer when determining the power rating.

4. Can I use a StepDown Transformer with a higher power rating than what is required?

No, it is not recommended to use a StepDown Transformer with a higher power rating than what is required. This can lead to overloading and potentially damaging the transformer or the equipment it is connected to. It is important to always use a transformer with the appropriate power rating for the specific application.

5. What happens if I use a StepDown Transformer with a lower power rating than what is required?

If a StepDown Transformer with a lower power rating is used, it may not be able to handle the required amount of power and could overheat or malfunction. This can lead to damage to the transformer or the equipment it is connected to. It is important to always use a transformer with the appropriate power rating for the specific application to ensure safe and efficient operation.