What should I do after my graduation in physics?

In summary: I will try to talk to my research advisor and see if there is any possibility to continue working with them. In summary, the individual is an international student studying in the US who is about to graduate and is interested in pursuing theoretical physics in top graduate programs. However, they are facing financial difficulties and are unsure about their qualifications for research positions. They are seeking advice on what to do during the year after graduation, and the suggestion is to try to find a job and save money for graduate school.
Jay15
I am international student studying in US. I am about to graduate in my third year. I have done two experimental research but they are not too significant works. I want to do theoretical physics in the future and I really want to go to those top graduate programs in US. My GPA is around 3.7 and I am not sure which professor can provide me a strong letter of recommendation. My family is broken so I don't think I have the money to continue school. I tried to find some summer research, but most of them require US citizen or green card. I will try to apply for grad school in the end of this year, but I still have one year time after graduation which I don't know what I can do. Professor doing theoretical physics might consider me under qualify for their research since I don't have the chance to take QFT, GR yet. But I really want to do research in some theoretical aspects. What should I do in this case? Appreciated any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
So you've applied for the internships that you are qualified for, and been rejected? Or you didn't apply?

Not that I'm any expert, but you need to be legally eligible to work in the country that you plan on spending the next year in. So if it's a given that you're not starting graduate school in September, you need to figure out how to clear that hurdle, if you can.

And if you're not going to attend school, then you need a position. Sure, it would be ideal to find a research assistant position somewhere, and even better if that was doing some of the theoretical work that you want to do. But given the competitive nature of such positions, the requirement for a green card, and the fact that you won't be a student once you graduate, the probability of obtaining a position like that is fairly low. So you'll probably have to look at expanding your horizons.

You might want to talk to the people you've been doing research with already to see if there is any way they can keep you on as a research assistant. If they have funding, they might be interested in keeping someone on the project who doesn't need to climb as much of a learning curve. Failing that, I would look around for other opportunities at your school with the goal of at least staying involved in physics to some degree or another.

If that doesn't work out, and you try elsewhere without success, I would shift your focus onto just getting "a" job and try to maximize the financial end of things. Maybe it would work out fiscally better to move back to your home country and then work for a year while you apply to graduate schools and live with a parent? At least that way, you can build up some savings to make your graduate school years more comfortable.

Dishsoap said:
So you've applied for the internships that you are qualified for, and been rejected? Or you didn't apply?

I don't know what job to apply now. My main goal is graduate school. I am international student so if I want to stay in US, I need a job and I also need money to stay.

Choppy said:
Not that I'm any expert, but you need to be legally eligible to work in the country that you plan on spending the next year in. So if it's a given that you're not starting graduate school in September, you need to figure out how to clear that hurdle, if you can.

And if you're not going to attend school, then you need a position. Sure, it would be ideal to find a research assistant position somewhere, and even better if that was doing some of the theoretical work that you want to do. But given the competitive nature of such positions, the requirement for a green card, and the fact that you won't be a student once you graduate, the probability of obtaining a position like that is fairly low. So you'll probably have to look at expanding your horizons.

You might want to talk to the people you've been doing research with already to see if there is any way they can keep you on as a research assistant. If they have funding, they might be interested in keeping someone on the project who doesn't need to climb as much of a learning curve. Failing that, I would look around for other opportunities at your school with the goal of at least staying involved in physics to some degree or another.

If that doesn't work out, and you try elsewhere without success, I would shift your focus onto just getting "a" job and try to maximize the financial end of things. Maybe it would work out fiscally better to move back to your home country and then work for a year while you apply to graduate schools and live with a parent? At least that way, you can build up some savings to make your graduate school years more comfortable.
Thanks. It seems like the only option I have.

Related to What should I do after my graduation in physics?

1. What career options are available after graduating with a degree in physics?

Graduates with a degree in physics have a variety of career paths available to them. Some common options include working in research and development, teaching, data analysis, engineering, and consulting. Physics graduates also have the option to pursue further education through graduate studies in fields such as astrophysics, materials science, or medical physics.

2. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree in physics to find a job?

While having a graduate degree can open up more job opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries, it is not always necessary to have one. Many entry-level positions in fields such as engineering or data analysis only require a bachelor's degree in physics. However, if you are interested in pursuing a more specialized or research-oriented career, a graduate degree may be necessary.

3. What skills do I need to have to succeed in a career in physics?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics principles and theories, success in a physics career also requires excellent analytical and mathematical skills. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to work well in a team. Strong communication and computer skills are also highly valued in the field of physics.

4. Can I find a job outside of the traditional physics industries?

Yes, a degree in physics can be applied to a variety of industries beyond the traditional fields of research and development. For example, physics graduates can work in finance, healthcare, or even in the entertainment industry. The analytical and problem-solving skills gained from a physics degree make it valuable in a wide range of industries.

5. What resources are available to help me find a job after graduation?

There are several resources available to help physics graduates find job opportunities. Many universities have career centers that offer job search assistance, resume building workshops, and networking events specifically for students in the field of physics. Professional organizations, such as the American Physical Society, also provide resources and job listings for their members. Additionally, online job search engines and networking websites can be useful in connecting with potential employers.