What should I refer to cover up this syllabus within a year

• Thread starter Ricky25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, the person is planning to take an exam in October 2013 and is looking for advice on how to cover the syllabus for Physics paper II within a year. They have provided links to the previous year's question paper and the syllabus. They have also asked for book recommendations, and someone suggested books on Quantum Mechanics, Atomic Physics, Molecular Physics, Nuclear and Particle Physics, Solid State Physics, and Electronics. The person is familiar with H.C Verma and Pradeep's books and is advised to start with them before moving on to other recommended books and online resources.
Ricky25
Hello everyone , I am going to appear for an examination on October-2013 in my home country . Physics is one of the optional papers ( I opted for it because I am interested in it - My physics is just up to Class/Grade-12 )

These are the syllabus and 2011-question paper for Physics-paper II . I wanted advice on What should I refer to cover up this syllabus within a year ?

Question paper for Physics paper-II

http://www.upsc.gov.in/questionpaper/2011/CSM11/PHYSICS_II.pdfSyllabus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PAPER - II
1. Quantum Mechanics:
Wave-particle dualitiy; Schroedinger equation and expectation values; Uncertainty principle; Solutions of the one-dimensional Schroedinger equation for a free particle (Gaussian wave-packet), particle in a box, particle in a finite well, linear harmonic oscillator; Reflection and transmission by a step potential and by a rectangular barrier; Particle in a three dimensional box, density of states, free electron theory of metals; Angular momentum; Hydrogen atom; Spin half particles, properties of Pauli spin matrices.

2. Atomic and Molecular Physics:
Stern-Gerlach experiment, electron spin, fine structure of hydrogen atom; L-S coupling, J-J coupling; Spectroscopic notation of atomic states; Zeeman effect; FrankCondon principle and applications; Elementary theory of rotational, vibratonal and electronic spectra of diatomic molecules; Raman effect and molecular structure; Laser Raman spectroscopy; Importance of neutral hydrogen atom, molecular hydrogen and molecular hydrogen ion in astronomy; Fluorescence and Phosphorescence; Elementary theory and applications of NMR and EPR; Elementary ideas about Lamb shift and its significance.

3. Nuclear and Particle Physics:
Basic nuclear properties-size, binding energy, angular momentum, parity, magnetic moment; Semi-empirical mass formula and appl icat ions, mass parabolas; Ground state of deuteron, magnetic moment and non-central forces; Meson theory of nuclear forces; Salient features of nuclear forces;Shell model of the nucleus - successes and limitations; Violation of parity in beta decay; Gamma decay and internal conversion; Elementary ideas about Mossbauer spectroscopy; Q-value of nuclear reactions; Nuclear fission and fusion, energy production in stars; Nuclear reactors.
Classification of elementary particles and their interactions ; Conservation laws ; Quark structure of hadrons; Field quanta of electroweak and strong interactions; Elementary ideas about unification of forces; Physics of neutrinos.

4. Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics:
Crystalline and amorphous structure of matter; Different crystal systems, space groups; Methods of determination of crystal structure; X-ray diffraction, scanning and transmission electron microscopies; Band theory of solids - conductors, insulators and semiconductors; Thermal properties of solids, specific heat, Debye theory; Magnetism: dia, para and ferromagnetism; Elements of superconductivity, Meissner effect, Josephson junctions and applications; Elementary ideas about high temperature superconductivity.
Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors; pn-p and n-p-n transistors; Amplifiers and osci l lators; Op-amps; FET, JFET and MOSFET; Digital electronics-Boolean identities, De Morgan’s laws, logic gates and truth tables; Simple logic circuits; Thermistors, solar cells; Fundamentals of microprocessors and digital computers.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Someone recommended me these books :

Quantum Mechanics: Schiff
Atomic Physics: White
Molecular: Herzbarg
Nuclear & Particle :Eiseberg & Resnick , Cohen
Solid State: Deckberg and Kittle
Electronics: Millman and Halkias ;Malvino

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am familiar with books of H.C Verma and Pradeep's for Physics. If you are familiar with H.C Verma and Pradeep's for Physics, then I would suggest you start with those books and then supplement your learning with the recommended books. H.C Verma and Pradeep's provide a very comprehensive coverage of the topics included in the syllabus. It is always better to start with basic concepts before moving on to advanced topics. Once you have grasped the fundamental ideas, it would be easier to understand more complex topics from the other books. Additionally, you can also refer to online resources like lecture videos, online courses, etc. to reinforce your understanding. All the best for your exam!

1. What are the key components of the syllabus that need to be covered within a year?

The key components of a syllabus will vary depending on the subject and level of study. However, some common components that should be covered within a year include key concepts, theories, practical applications, and assessments.

2. How can I effectively manage my time to cover the entire syllabus within a year?

To effectively manage your time, you can create a study schedule that breaks down the syllabus into smaller, manageable sections. Prioritize the most important and challenging topics first, and allocate specific time slots for studying each day. It's also important to take breaks and rest to avoid burnout.

3. Are there any specific study techniques or strategies that can help me cover the syllabus within a year?

Yes, there are several study techniques and strategies that can help you cover the syllabus within a year. These include active learning methods such as note-taking, summarizing, and self-testing. Additionally, finding a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also aid in covering the syllabus effectively.

4. How can I ensure that I have fully understood and retained the information covered in the syllabus within a year?

One way to ensure that you have understood and retained the information is by regularly reviewing and revisiting the material. This can be done through self-testing, practice questions, and summarizing the key points. It's also helpful to actively engage with the material by asking questions and seeking clarification when needed.

5. What are some resources that can assist me in covering the syllabus within a year?

There are various resources that can assist you in covering the syllabus within a year. These include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, study guides, and practice exams. Your school or institution may also have additional resources such as study groups or tutoring services that you can utilize.